WANTED rear shocks for 68 plymouth sport fury 2 door fasttop

BAD69FURY

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi, can anyone help me with the correct rear shocks to buy for my 68 plymouth sport fury. I do not want air shocks or gabriels, I want some kind of standard monroe gas shocks or equivalent.

thank you!

KYB Gas Adjust are what I use on my 68 fury.
1717448870346.png

There are only two part numbers, one for sedans and one for wagons. Only difference is the wagons are about 1/2" shorter in full extended length. So, basically, they all go in the same places. Should be the same for all C-body cars '66-'68 and maybe '65 too.

www.rockauto.com is probably the best place to look for pricing and such. You can also go into the Monroe website, too. The current MonroeMatics are inbetween the OEM 1" piston and the old Super 500 1 3/8" piston size. There is also www.shockwarehouse.com .

Just curious, why no Gabriels?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There are only two part numbers, one for sedans and one for wagons. Only difference is the wagons are about 1/2" shorter in full extended length. So, basically, they all go in the same places. Should be the same for all C-body cars '66-'68 and maybe '65 too.

www.rockauto.com is probably the best place to look for pricing and such. You can also go into the Monroe website, too. The current MonroeMatics are inbetween the OEM 1" piston and the old Super 500 1 3/8" piston size. There is also www.shockwarehouse.com .

Just curious, why no Gabriels?

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Ok great thank you for the info, I’ll check them out.

I currently have Gabriel air shocks, nothing against them. My concern is that my air shocks are potentially supporting the weight of the rear end of the car. They filled the shocks with air in them to lift up the rear to give the car some rake. I was advised not to do this since it transfers the weight of the springs to the shocks mounts. Is this true? I heard I could potentially crack the shock mounts.

Thanks

Ok great thank you for the info, I’ll check them out.

I currently have Gabriel air shocks, nothing against them. My concern is that my air shocks are potentially supporting the weight of the rear end of the car. They filled the shocks with air in them to lift up the rear to give the car some rake. I was advised not to do this since it transfers the weight of the springs to the shocks mounts. Is this true? I heard I could potentially crack the shock mounts.

Thanks

Sounds like you also need new rear springs. . .

I have had Gabriel Hi-Jackers on my '70 Monaco 4drht since the middle 1970s. Only about 60psi to level the car, no more. They have been great. No adverse issues with anything.

Consider, nobody advises against the load-leveler coil-over rear shocks, which can put some of the same stresses into the structure that lower-pressure air shocks might.

Consider, that each bump the car takes, the shocks resist that and THAT force goes in the structure at the same location. If something might happen, it is the upper mounts where the bolt holes might ge a bit enlarged if the bolts get a bit loose. The more HD and stiff the shock, the more pressure spikes.

One thing I did notice was that my car cornered better from the low-psressure rear air shocks. Almost like an easy-to-install rear sway bar. Air shocks for C-bodies also have the large 1 3/8" piston like the HD shocks of old, which I consider to be a plus. The base 30psi pressure will not significantly raise the car, just put enough air into the air bags to keep them inflated and unwrinkled.

The 1980 Newport I bought had some Midas-branded Monroe air shocks on it when I bought it. The prior owner wan an oil field tool company. The car also had a home-made angle iron trailer hitch on it, which I removed. It had obviously seen some off-road use and pulled trailers. No issues with the upper chock crossmember getting deformed by that use. I put new Monroe air shocks on it and they are still there, decades later. Using only 30psi in them. The probably saved the rear factory HD rear springs.

Now, in my uses, just to level the car on the Monaco, and to get the HD rear shock function on the Newport, I'm NOT using them like many did in the earlier 1970s, to let everybody see my rear axle (some with a "Peace" symbol on them) as some people did in order to look cool or as if they just had to have the widest tire available (for the look of POWER) under the back of the car without hacking it up.

If I was using those two cars like a HD2500 pickup truck, THEN I'd certainly put some heavier purpose-built springs under them. I'm not, just wanting a level car with a good HD shock on the back. No more, no less. My decades of use has proven to me that I made the correct decision.

When I bought the Monaco in 1975, it had the coil-over helper shocks on the back, as the prior owner pulled some sort of smaller trailer with it. The rear springs were/are sagged. At that time, the only spring shop was 30 miles away and getting new springs from Chrysler was not possible and more money than I wanted to spend anyway. So, air shocks were my best option. Now that new rear springs are more readily-available, I might make a different decision these days, but probably not.

From MY experiences, air shocks are not nearly as "evil" as some make them out to be. Perhaps if I was in a locale where the roads were heavily-salted in the longer winter, I might think differently. BTAIM But if I was in such locales, the rest of the cars might not be worth saving, either?

Just MY experiences and observations,
CBODY67

I have air shocks on the back of my 57. They were from my racing days, when I could load one side if necessary. I run between 45 and 50 pounds in them and have never had any problems. With that much air in them it doesn't lift the car and it has a nice ride. Like CBODY67 said above, if you are lifting the rear to the sky, it might not be the wisest thing to do.

I'm not a fan of air shocks or coil over shocks. I think they put stress on that shock crossmember that it's not designed to take. Having fixed one myself and seen others, I haven't changed my position.

That said, if used with some caution and common sense, most likely they won't cause a problem. I do think they are usually used as a poor band-aid for bad springs.

The OP wants to get rid of them and replace with some decent shocks, so why debate this?? Yes, he may need springs but if you think about it, he needs springs even if he puts air shocks back on the car.

I guess I’ll start with having a look under the car and take a good look at the shock mounts. I think I’m ok, my car is not raked up to the sky but has been slightly lifted about 2-3 inches.

It’s just my preference, but after I check it out I may just put the standard gas shocks and rebuild my leaf springs .

Here’s a side view it don’t look too raked.
I’m also getting aquanted with the car and slowly discovering things.

But overall good so far.

Did you buy that one recently?
I remember it being for sale several times over the last few years.

Hi, can anyone help me with the correct rear shocks to buy for my 68 plymouth sport fury. I do not want air shocks or gabriels, I want some kind of standard monroe gas shocks or equivalent.

thank you!
I have Delco P-1097 65-70 New rear shocks original a pair in original boxes 85 plus shipping

Back