Rebuild Poly 318 or install LA 318 ?

65GUS

Reaction score
hi all. ive got a 1965 fury 3, with a worn out poly 318. it was dropping oil pressure the last 2 years , and now its been determined that the cam bearings are totally shot. my question is, do i do a total rebuild on the poly, it will be spendy ( parts wise ) or i may have access to a late 60's ( 67-69) LA 318, which could be freshened up before the re-install. the fury only gets driven about 3000 miles a year so its hard to justify a total rebuild with upgraded parts. i know the 65 fury has a 1 year only LH motor mount, what all would need to be modified to install a LA motor in place of the poly ?? im figuring at least the exhaust pipes to exhaust manifolds. are the inlets on the water pump on the same side ? maybe some body has a good or rebuilt 318 poly to fit my 1965 ?? Im out here in Oregon, so east coast motors probably $$$ to ship, anyways, any info on a motor swap or a good used poly 318 or a good local Oregon Mopar engine builder is all appreciated, thanks

IMG_5423.jpg

20180310_135715 - Copy.jpg

What transmission do you have?

My '67 Canadian Monaco came with a 318 poly, in 1987 I replaced it with a 318- LA. It bolted right up to the 727 transmission and no problems with motor mounts. Your '65 Fury has a different frame mounting setup but on the engine side the poly vs LA should be identical. I would recommend you find a complete LA engine because nothing can be swapped from the poly. I bought a re-man LA318 and had to find intake, exhaust, oil pan, valve covers, I think also timing chain cover. Also throttle bracket. Not sure about the distributor.

Back