Replacing Power Steering Box Seals

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
My power steering box leaks, and it appears to be coming out of the fitting at the top of the box, that has the high pressure line.

{-sm}_1.jpg

An Imperialist told me that many of the O-rings can be changed with the box in the car. Is this one of them? Anyone done it?

{-sm}_1.jpg

I can post pics of the disassambled part if would help you?! Lots of the fluid drained out when I removed this upper "block" but all seals were in this block.

I had a bad O-ring in the control valve that leads to low pressure return. Was able to swap it out with gearbox in car.

The piece that bolts on needs to be in a certain spot or it will steer all the way to lock one way or another you can loosen bolt and tap/adjust till it no longer self steers. Also don't start car with arms through the steering wheel as it may turn when car starts.

I can post pics of the disassambled part if would help you?! Lots of the fluid drained out when I removed this upper "block" but all seals were in this block.

By all means, yes. If you have the pictures, that would be great. I've got the FSM, and will be reading it, but context always makes it more understandable.

I just replaced the seals in that block on one of my cars last week. Not hard to do, but at the end you need to center the block so that the steering wheel doesn't kick or turn by itself when started as mentioned above. I was able to find the O rings at my local Autozone store, which had an assortment of them for sale in a small kit - worked like a charm. I might mention that one of the O rings in my block was completely deteriorated and gone. I was surprised it didn't leak more than it did.

Back