Rim blow steering wheel

Sport Fury GT

Reaction score
Looking for a referral to restore the factory Rim Blow steering wheel in my 70 SFGT. The Rim Blow has not functioned for at least 30 years and the cracks in the wheel are bothering me. Any help is appreciated.

My '70 DH43 came with the tilt wheel and included Rim Blow wheel. As yours probably is, the "switch" was rock solid when I bought the car in 1975. Horn didn't work, so I put in a new horn relay, then it worked with a very hard squeeze in the right place. But when the ambient temp got past 80 degrees F, it would "self-actuate", which explained why the old horn relay was melted inside.

So I pulled the cover off of the relay and learned where it was so I could actuate it with my left foot, if needed.

Probably the best alternative is to just get rid of it. I asked the service manager at the local dealer about putting in a new, softer switch. He made a face and said they had done a few of them, which was laborious and not fun.

The closest OEM looks-similar steering wheel appeared on the '74 or '75 C-bodies, but with a normal horn area in the middle of the wheel, for the tilt column. Another alternative can be the aftermarket TUFF wheel from Grant, which I believe is listed in the Order Guide?

While I still could get one, I ordered a new rim blow wheel from Chrysler. By that time, they were all black in color, paint to match. But with time, it started to crack too, in the box in the trunk.

When I get closer to getting the car back on the road, my search will intensify for a better steering wheel.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Back