Road Wheels

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the road wheels for my 78 Newport. I have the Argent paint I ordered on line but probably not enough to paint 4 road wheels. Is there an Argent paint on the shelf at AAP or AZ you would use? Maybe someone has the part number off the can? Also, I'm trying to figure out what color black is correct or pretty close. Is it gloss, semi gloss, or flat black. I don't want to have to order anything....just want to go to AAP or AZ and get something off the shelf.

Would you guys polish the chrome areas first and then paint the road wheels.

Would you spray it with primer or just spray black over the black?

How do you tape off the center to spray the Argent?

Just trying to improve my Fred Flintstone results a tad....LOL!

I'm working on the road wheels for my 78 Newport. I have the Argent paint I ordered on line but probably not enough to paint 4 road wheels. Is there an Argent paint on the shelf at AAP or AZ you would use? Maybe someone has the part number off the can? Also, I'm trying to figure out what color black is correct or pretty close. Is it gloss, semi gloss. I don't want to have to order anything....just want to go to AAP or AZ and get something off the shelf.

Would you guys polish the chrome areas first and then paint the road wheels.

Would you spray it with primer or just spray black over the black?

How do you tape off the center to spray the Argent?

Just trying to improve my Fred Flintstone results a tad....LOL!

I have no useful information, but I will be following your results. I have serious misgivings about AAP and AZ off the shelf products results. I would think a self etching primer would be advisable, and not on their shelves either.

I seen self etching primer in AAP yesterday...

I believe Walmart has it too.

Duplicolor Self Etching Primer, 12 oz, Aerosol DAP1690: Advance Auto Parts

shopping

You have pics of the current condition of the rims, just to see how much work would be required ?
If the paint is just faded without rust going over with some small grit paper and repaint without primer is enough for example.

I use this from off the shelf from AZ.
I don't know if it is an exact match for Mopar Argent but the color seemsclose and it does have that little "sparkle" to it like Argent.
PicsArt_02-21-08.45.07.jpg
PicsArt_02-21-08.43.57.jpg

You're talking about that 2" wide blue painter's tape?

Thanks Stan!

What kind of black paint did you use? Gloss, Semi Gloss?

Masking tape has some flexibility so you can tear off short pieces and follow the round contour fairly easily. Worked for me. I just made sure everything was clean and didn't worry about primer. Most of the indoor/outdoor rattle can stuff is designed to work in less than ideal conditions.

Back