SO WHAT'S IT TAKE TO PUT A BB IN A '63

CEE BODY

Reaction score
Looking at a '63 Newport with 361. I have a 600 HP BB in the shop with 50 passes. Easy swap? I'll have to check if I still have a Dana for the rear.

Should be an easy swap. As has been said, the 361 is a B block - not an RB, but still a big block.

With that kind of power, you will need some considerable work on the transmission to make the transplant viable. High stall convertors for the '63 small shaft transmission are hard to find. Probably would want to go to a '71 and later transmission with the proper upgrades. Most of the rest should be a bolt in conversion.

Dave

With that kind of power, you will need some considerable work on the transmission to make the transplant viable. High stall convertors for the '63 small shaft transmission are hard to find. Probably would want to go to a '71 and later transmission with the proper upgrades.

Dave
Then he would have tio change his selector - couldn't use the push-buttons!

But, if it has the standard three-speed manual - time for a 4-speed! :thumbsup:

Just swap in the later front pump and input shaft parts, bolt in swap.

Kevin

That will work for the shafts if he wants to keep the typewriter drive. I was thinking that the '71 and later has a stronger front pump support if this is going to be a racer.

Dave

I'm suspecting his BB is a 440, which means more 413-based items for the exhaust and such, rather than 361/383. What about hood clearance as I suspect the his hi-horse BB has a taller intake manifold and such as a part of that package.

The OTHER thing is that a drag race motor can make a poor choice for a street car, sometimes, not to mention adapting the things necessary on the '63-'64 Chrysler platform. Oh, and don't forget BRAKE upgrades, too!

CBODY67

Wouldn't even consider that trans. I'm doing a weight watcher guesstimate right now. 3717 lbs as is. With the 440, 3750. If I can loose 250 lbs without removing front and rear glass, then its a new project.

no the trans , i just had one cable shifter built with the 71 up input and pump . just need a good tranny guy and time to put it together , to get the proper clearances . should not have any issues with converters then and that pump uses the long bushing for better strength .

there quicker then they look , same engine well .
7D80DFE3-1451-48B3-8463-3750939387BE.jpg
842B527B-89C2-46D1-B887-6F5C6CEE30DE.jpg

0yes , we were at the track sorting out our maxwedge car , and i just watched the rest of the feild run off , there was a 64 new yorker running a mild wedge , 440 or so . and that thing left better than ours and ran 12.5's all day , and he drove it there and home at the end of the day . just cork'd n put the street tires on , and away he went . so they can run good numbers as well . i've had some older friends that have watched the 62 300 h's run in the 11's back in the day . so have at it .

Back