Speed control and speedometer cables

Captainfury

Reaction score
The speedo on my 1972 Fury gran sedan has not worked since I bought her, so I’ve purchased a new one. However, reading the FSM and taking the ancient rusted one off the trans, I believe that the speed control unit is going to be integral to this matter.
It appears that there is no direct cable from Speedo pinion to the speedometer housing in the dash. According to the FSM one cable comes from trans to speed control servo, then another goes from servo to speedometer. Is the implication here that unless one has a good functioning speed control servo, the speedometer will not work either?

No that's not right. The cruise can be inoperative and the speedo still work fine. It is mechanical in and out of the servo.

Take the cable off the servo that goes to the speedo, spin it up with a drill and see it the speedo is operating.

Thanks for the
No that's not right. The cruise can be inoperative and the speedo still work fine. It is mechanical in and out of the servo.

Take the cable off the servo that goes to the speedo, spin it up with a drill and see it the speedo is operating.
Thank you 413 for that great expeditious reply. I’ve just tried it with a drill and unfortunately nothing on the Speedo. I used the upper cable as per fsm. I suspected as much as PO said he’d been annoyed by it being noisy and so he disabled it. I removed the shield below the steering column, and began following the cable up to speedo, whereupon it disappeared behind and up above steering column. What a bastard of a job this is beginning to look like.

Back