Speedometer cable

Deputy

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for a speedometer cable for my 65 Fury III. It has the one that press fits in the transmission. Has anybody found one or put one in here? Also has anybody used this one I found on eBay before I spend the money on it. I cant get a hold of imperial services I think they may be out of business does anyone know?
Thanks
JD

OE-Style Speedometer Cable for 1962-1965 MoPar C-Body & Imperial | eBay

Can you post a picture of your cable at the transmission. 1965 should have a retaining nut on the cable. The slide in style is from the 70's.

Can you post a picture of your cable at the transmission. 1965 should have a retaining nut on the cable. The slide in style is from the 70's.

I’ll have to crawl under and get one... there is no nut though... I bought one with a nut but it doesn’t have one it’s a press fit I’m assuming... has a plate that goes over the top that holds it in the tail put shaft on the transmission... the one that I found has the correct year and looks like what I might have but wanted to get some input before I get one..

I’ll have to crawl under and get one... there is no nut though... I bought one with a nut but it doesn’t have one it’s a press fit I’m assuming... has a plate that goes over the top that holds it in the tail put shaft on the transmission... the one that I found has the correct year and looks like what I might have but wanted to get some input before I get one..
Next question, does your car have the cable to shift the transmission, or hard linkage, some where down the line it might have been changed.

Next question, does your car have the cable to shift the transmission, or hard linkage, some where down the line it might have been changed.

It’s cable shift. Shift is on the column... kick down for the passing gear is a linkage

It’s cable shift. Shift is on the column... kick down for the passing gear is a linkage
Then you have the correct transmission for a 1965 and older. Please post the picture of the speedo cable at the trans.

This is the best I can get for now but this is it
31184762-4D85-4B9B-9F76-5CEC412837F8.jpeg

That is different from what I am used to. Looks like it had a bunch of leaks before.

What I think happened is the previous owner had the transmission rebuilt. My guess is the old o ring was old and was leaking so they put that sealant around it

This is what it looks like out of the transmission, of course it'll look different without the gear if you buy new, the other end is the top. I'm not sure when they changed, but you may have a replacement already as it's rubber jacketed, most I've seen that I'm sure are original are the steel jacketed as pictured here.
upload_2018-1-9_20-25-30.png

This is what it looks like out of the transmission, of course it'll look different without the gear if you buy new, the other end is the top. I'm not sure when they changed, but you may have a replacement already as it's rubber jacketed, most I've seen that I'm sure are original are the steel jacketed as pictured here.
View attachment 161646

Awesome thanks! Yea that looks like the one I was looking at on eBay they are just expensive. So I wanted to be sure before I spent the money on it. I found an adapter that will allow for a screw on type but it says for 66 and up so I’m not going to chance it I’ll just get what it’s supposed to have.

Make sure the second 0-ring is in place before assembly, it's down inside the housing and seals the inner cable to the housing. Most leaks can be traced to that o-ring yet not many know there's supposed to be one down in there.

Make sure the second 0-ring is in place before assembly, it's down inside the housing and seals the inner cable to the housing. Most leaks can be traced to that o-ring yet not many know there's supposed to be one down in there.
Awesome good to know I appreciate the information. I think I’m going to spring for it and hopefully it’s the right one. Says it in the description so here’s to hoping.

Awesome good to know I appreciate the information. I think I’m going to spring for it and hopefully it’s the right one. Says it in the description so here’s to hoping.
Glad someone stepped up when you posted the picture. Most of us know something, but together we know it all.

Glad someone stepped up when you posted the picture. Most of us know something, but together we know it all.
For sure ! I appreciate all the help from everyone. I’ve worked on a lot of the seeptkine era trucks but never a c body or many cars for that matter of these years. You learn something new everyday and I’ve learned that if you haven’t done something before there’s someone out there that has so I never shy to ask questions

For sure ! I appreciate all the help from everyone. I’ve worked on a lot of the seeptkine era trucks but never a c body or many cars for that matter of these years. You learn something new everyday and I’ve learned that if you haven’t done something before there’s someone out there that has so I never shy to ask questions
Trust me, after 45 years of turning wrenches, I still ask questions. Way cheaper that way.

Back