Starter testing

66furys

Reaction score
This is my first time for the mopar gear reduction starter test. Most times, I have used jumpers on the main and on ground, then hit the small solenoid terminal to activate starter. All my past units just stopped when the solenoid was cut. On this starter, it runs for a few seconds, sometimes as much as 5s before stopping. I am thinking a sticking solenoid. I was thinking that if the engine starts it would kick the gear and clutch out of engagement with overrun. But, if it did not start it may keep running. Am I nutz; I am thinking this starter should stop immediately when I remove the solenoid wire. danka

I am thinking a sticking solenoid
That's what it sounds like to me too.
Am I nutz;
We all are, so don't feel like you are the only one.
I am thinking this starter should stop immediately when I remove the solenoid wire.
It will coast down with no load, but not run on.

Which brings me to a question I have... The chain parts stores (Advance, Auto Zone etc.) check starters. Do they test them under load? I have a starter that I'd like to test. It runs, but I really don't want to install it to check.

Which brings me to a question I have... The chain parts stores (Advance, Auto Zone etc.) check starters. Do they test them under load? I have a starter that I'd like to test. It runs, but I really don't want to install it to check.
You really need a load on it to measure the amp usage. We tested them on the car while cranking and watched the voltage drop and amperage draw.

No load test, just free spinning like we do at home.

Advance used to do AMP draw testing while the starter was on the car. If you requested a full starting and charging system test. I left 5 years ago. Their new policy is they no longer do it. Since Covid A LOT of their "customer service" policies have changed or were eliminated completely. You just can't or won't staff the stores like you used to.

Back