Stock rims for 67 Chrysler 300

Six7-300

Reaction score
Does anyone know what width 14" rims were stock on a 1967 Chrysler 300? Anyone know where I can find a set of aftermarket steel rims that look stock and will fit stock 14" hubcaps?

My 67 300 came with 14" rims, but somewhere along the line the rims must have been changed and 15's were put on. I'd like to go back to 14's and put on a set of redline tires.

Thanx.

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............ :welcome:
Steel wheels made for use with radial tires are much heavier then the originals. It would be wise to locate a set of them. The original wheels are lighter and when used with radial tires are prone to flexing under load, which in turn can cause the wheelcovers to pop off.

Thanks Blufury361! I'll that in mind and look for a set of aftermarket rims.

Does anyone know who makes a decent rim that looks stock and will accomodate the original hubcap?

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............ :welcome:
Steel wheels made for use with radial tires are much heavier then the originals. It would be wise to locate a set of them. The original wheels are lighter and when used with radial tires are prone to flexing under load, which in turn can cause the wheelcovers to pop off.

With all due respect I have never experienced this, and have driven stock Mopars with radials for 40 years. Only once did I lose a cap. I had 15lbs of pressure instead of 32psi, in the tire, which will lose a hubcap, as the vibration shakes a wheel. A stock polyester tire puts extreme load on a rim, as they don't flex. if anything, with the correct size, the originals are every bit as strong. Their are limits though, as you shouldn't put too wide of a tire on an original 5.5 or 6.0 rim. Then you have exceeded the design parameters of the rim. As far as I know, nobody reproduces a new rim stronger than the original 5.5 or 6.0 rim.

With all due respect I have never experienced this, and have driven stock Mopars with radials for 40 years. Only once did I lose a cap. As far as I know, nobody reproduces a new rim stronger than the original 5.5 or 6.0 rim.

No problem ...... but .... true story.
Although there are several reasons for a wheel cover to pop of, flexing wheels is one of them. bias tires were usually pretty narrow and have a tendency to "lift" the tread area off the ground under load. With a radial the tread maintains a larger "foot print" which increases the load on the rim.

Radials became OEM equipment on most cars in the early and mid 70's and 14" rims were still common. Place an OEM wheel designed for use with radial tires of the period next to a earlier wheel designed for use with bisa tires and you'll find the later wheel to be conciderably heavier.

That being said, it is still a good practice to "tweek" the grip prongs on a wheelcover whenever reinstalling them.

Back