Stressed 65 Fury

Splinter

Reaction score
Folks, I’m in need of some help. Imagine you just purchased a mostly complete rust bucket that closely resembles a car that you regret selling years ago. Well that happened to me and all the joy has quickly been replaced by stress and confusion. I realize I made an emotional decision and didn’t check for VIN numbers before I forked over cash and had it towed to my house. I had a title in hand and it seemed legit. I mean this looked like a true barn find. Now as I really dig in I can see the VIN tag has been removed from the usual places (fender and door hinge) and I am unable to locate any others. I’m tempted to call the police but really don’t want them to crush this car and my money with it. Any advice will be appreciated.

IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5821.jpeg

Someone will chime in on other vin locations, maybe the engine and/or transmission?

Regardless, I would think that the state has ways to get your vehicle titled and registered.

Be patient!

Tell us more about your car!

So your vin tag is missing?

In 65 it was held in by 2 spots of epoxy. The epoxy tended to rust under the vin plate and they fell off. It belongs under the top driver side hinge. Look for 2 rust spots.

Someone will chime in on other vin locations, maybe the engine and/or transmission?

Regardless, I would think that the state has ways to get your vehicle titled and registered.

Be patient!

Tell us more about your car!I found this car local to me in FL. While there is plenty of rust it dosent bother me because the frame is actually pretty solid on first impressions. I will update as I move along. The title I have is from 1978 so it is not nearly as detailed as current titles and doesn't list the model just Make, year and number of cylinders. If the sellers story is correct, the car has been parked for decades. Based on the engine (poly 318) being in plastic bins I have to assume it was the engine that caused it to be parked.

So your vin tag is missing?

In 65 it was held in by 2 spots of epoxy. The epoxy tended to rust under the vin plate and they fell off. It belongs under the top driver side hinge. Look for 2 rust spots.
Epoxy. I always thought it was rivets that held it up, but that explains why it no longer resides in that spot. The outline of the original tag is still visible.

Back