Touch up for chrome

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Last weekend I scored this really nice bumper for the NYer for next to nothing. The only problem is in both ends it has a scratch. Any ideas for how to make it less visible and slow future deterioration? If not I still got a killer deal.

20240819_200010.jpg

20240819_200019.jpg

20240819_200029.jpg

Considering that one of the final stages of "chrome", is a polish, some industrial-grade chrome polish (on a buffer wheel) might work to make the scratches less noticeable or mostly removed?

A light acid will take the rust out of the scratch, wheel acid or hydrochloric acid works well. After the scratch is clean, keep a coat of wax on it to slow rust from retuning

I second the polishing method. Maybe hit the bumper with a clay bar before for a better result too. There’s probably crud wedged into that scratch, then go forward with a metal polish. Should make it look a lot nicer.

IMHO, there's not much you can do to make it look better. Nothing is going to match the chrome and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd polish the bumper with my favorite chrome polish, Collinite #850 Metal Wax, and call it a day.

Do you have any pics of how this is done? I'm interested to see it.

The next time I do it I'll post a video. I have a 67 Skylark with a good bumper that have damage. But the 340 motor is locked and I don't know when I'll get to that.

Back