USS Juneau CL-52

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Paul Allen's team is on a roll. They have found the USS Juneau on March 17 St. Patrick's Day. For those that don't know the ship participated in the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. After disengaging what was left of the US forces turned back for base. On route the Juneau was hit by a torpedo which impacted a forward ammunition compartment and she blew up and when the smoke cleared was simply gone. There went 683 sailors including most of the Sullivan brothers. Since no one was assumed to have survived, and a sub in the area, the Captain in charge on the USS Helena had all ships kept on moving. As we know there were survivors including a Sullivan yet many died from exposure to the elements.

Long read but if into naval history it is a piece of cake. I have the hardcovers.
http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-guadalcanal-first-naval-battle-in-the-ironbottom-sound.htm

Cruiser Photo Index CL-52 USS JUNEAU - Navsource - Photographic History of the U.S. Navy

The discovery. The opening shot is of the stern and the name Juneau.
VIDEO: Paul Allen Finds Sullivan Brothers’ Cruiser USS Juneau - USNI News

Thank you for posting. The loss of this ship, along with the five Sullivan brothers led to many changes in the way the military assigned brothers in time of war. This is one of the reasons that Joseph Kennedy Jr., and his brother J.F.K. were in different theaters of the war. Glad they found her.

It's amazing how well preserved it is. That turnbuckle looks like it would still function.

Researched that battle a while back. Pretty rough stuff to go thru. A horrendous engagement as far as ww2 goes . I belong to a social club named after one of the lost sailors. Charles (tut) bertocci. Can’t wait to share. Thanx!

More amazing stuff, interesting to note that depth charge still in its rack on the left hand side. Note a second depth charge dislodged behind it and tilted down at an angle. I have always found underwater archaeology to be so intriguing.
He stated that the bow and stern are right next to each other and found over half a mile away from the mid section of the ship. Makes me wonder just how that happened after the massive explosion.

More amazing stuff, interesting to note that depth charge still in its rack on the left hand side. Note a second depth charge dislodged behind it and tilted down at an angle. I have always found underwater archaeology to be so intriguing.
He stated that the bow and stern are right next to each other and found over half a mile away from the mid section of the ship. Makes me wonder just how that happened after the massive explosion.
Their have been a number of ship sinkings when a powder magazine is hit and the destruction is horrendous. H.M.S. Hood, U.S.S.Maine, and of course U.S.S. Arizona.

Back