Valve cover gaskets

Fred A

Reaction score
Hello, what valve cover gaskets would you recommend of 1978 Chrysler with 400 engine? Do I need to apply sealant?

Clean both sealing surfaces better tha you thong they need to be.

Get the valve covers FLAT.

Felpro cork gaskets with no sealer work just fine.

Don't overtighten the bolts. Go back and cinch them down over the next 24 hours. After you run the car and let it cool try the bolts again.

Don't overtighten the bolts. Go back and cinch them down over the next 24 hours. After you run the car and let it cool try the bolts again.
So this would work?

FEL-PRO VS 13379 Valve Cover Gasket. Will not need RTV sealant anywhere?

So this would work?

FEL-PRO VS 13379 Valve Cover Gasket. Will not need RTV sealant anywhere?
This is what I do. Read my post again, follow the instructions, take nothing for granted.

When you ask for people's opinions because you don't know, but still don't take their advise..
1718131448833.png

Well he is trying to get ideas. Valv covers and ATF pans.

So many people say there is no way to seal a valve over without sealer. That just means don't know how to do it, yet.

Last edited:
Thanks. I keep on getting different answers. When I did it a long time ago I used sealant. I will try your way without the sealant. The manufacturer also says not to use sealant

Hello, I did everything you said it it leaks a little on the bottom corners near firewall. Should I remove and apply a little Permatex aviation sealant liquid?

Back