Vinyl Top "Conditioner"

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I finally found something to use on the vinyl top on my 300L.

Some background... The top is in relatively good shape, I think it was replaced somewhere in its life. The problem was I couldn't get it to look decent. When I first got it, the vinyl looked a little dull and dingy.

The best stuff I ever found for a vinyl top was a Turtle Wax paste product, but they haven't made that in many years. Without that, I tried my usual products, starting with the 303 cleaner followed by the 303 protectant. With that, the best I could do was a streaky appearance that just looked awful. I had better success with Meguiar Ultimate Black trim restorer, but that was hard to apply and I still wasn't real happy.

I spotted a new Collinite product called 855 Leather & Vinyl wax, so I bought a bottle. I tried it first on my truck tonneau cover after washing it with some Chemical Guys convertible cleaner. I was impressed, went on nice and pulled a lot of dirt out of the freshly washed cover.

cgrbQKC.jpg

So, without any prep other than a quick wipe down to get the pollen off, I tried it on the top.

R2DaR7P.jpg

There's still just a touch of streaking. I think I want to try cleaning the top better, perhaps with Dawn soap or something like that and get all the old products off and then apply the Collinite, but it looks a lot better even without the prep. The truck sits outside, so we'll see how long it lasts, but if it's like any of the other Collinite products, I'll bet it lasts a while. We'll see.

Leather & Vinyl Wax - Conditioning Treatment | Collinite Since 1936
You can buy this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JK4CS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for posting!

FWIW, I have had very good results with the 303 Cleaner and 303 Protectant -- transformed the top of my 1996 Cadillac FWB from a dull gray back to the original dark cherry. @david hill gets the credit for the cleaning and application -- two years later, it still looks good.

Thank you for posting!

FWIW, I have had very good results with the 303 Cleaner and 303 Protectant -- transformed the top of my 1996 Cadillac FWB from a dull gray back to the original dark cherry. @david hill gets the credit for the cleaning and application -- two years later, it still looks good.
Yes, I have used the 303 products for many years. It's great stuff and I use on the interior on all the cars. I was surprised when it didn't do the job for me on the top.

Yes, I have used the 303 products for many years. It's great stuff and I use on the interior on all the cars.
Indeed, I got the 303 on your recommendation. Thank you again!

I have used a few products over the years, but my favourite by far today is the Jay Leno's Garage Tire and Trim care. The top on Tux along with the tires look fantastic.

1717281357663.png

Back