Want to refoam my 68 newport convertible bucket seats

Maxdaddy1$

Reaction score
Anyone have a source for molded foam seat guts for my buckets? I want to take a crack at doing my own seats. The covers are in perfect condition. I assume they are hog ringed to the frame making the change out of a molded replacement easy. Any comments welcomed.

Anyone have a source for molded foam seat guts for my buckets? I want to take a crack at doing my own seats. The covers are in perfect condition. I assume they are hog ringed to the frame making the change out of a molded replacement easy. Any comments welcomed.
I just did the ones in my '65 300L and they turned out pretty good. I used a Legendary kit but I don't know of any for your car.

You can build up the foam yourself. You want to use foam for car seats, not the stuff you buy at a fabric store. Cut with an electric knife, better still is an electric fillet knife. A small sanding disc in a drill can round everything off. You can glue foam blocks together to build up the sides and trim/sand to shape.

Pick a warm day to reinstall the covers. You'll need hog rings and hog ring pliers, burlap and muslin cloth.

YouTube has some videos that may help and here are my efforts...

Go to this thread What did you do to your C-body today.... go to post #2258. This is the rear seat bottom with sheet foam. Note I used cable ties to initially get it attached, then progressively pulled it tighter until I could use a hog ring. Light plastic sheeting over the foam and burlap makes it easier to reinstall the covers. A thin plastic drop cloth works well for that.

Some pics from the bucket seat:

OGAiHNa.jpg

New foam trimmed for my car. I just did the bottoms.

yf9LGQm.jpg

Finished seat.

DjX88QQ.jpg

Couple of thoughts --

-- The seat covers might look great, but with their age, the fabric backing might be dry-rotted, which might cause problems in taking them off and then re-stretching them on installation.

-- Seems like YearONE or Legendary used to sell foam seat buns for '65 Fury buckets? I'm thinking they are very close to the '67 and '68 seat buns? Possibly close enough to modify or add-to to get to where you want to go?

-- I think there is a thread in here, from a few years ago, where a member used a hand-held clothes steamer to rejuvenate seat bun foam? As I recall, it might melt any oils which might have accumulated in it, so it returns to its original shape? I was amazed at the pictures.

Take care,
CBODY67

Back