Welcome, RWCearley

Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I'm in the process of restoring my father's 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 2drHT with a 440 TNT. It's in the body shop now. Hope to have it finished in about a yrs time. Will send some recent photos later

Reed

Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I'm in the process of restoring my father's 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 2drHT with a 440 TNT. It's in the body shop now. Hope to have it finished in about a yrs time. Will send some recent photos later

Reed

Heres some pics of the New Yorker. Body is in excellent condition. Very little rust, mostly around the windshield.

20221024_172054.jpg

20221024_172038.jpg

20221024_171949.jpg

20221024_171934.jpg

Welcome. Thank you for joining, and thanks to @fury fan for getting you onboard!

CH23U1C167133 sports that fantastic April Green GJ4 color that I love. Do you have photos of the car earlier in her life? Let me know if you need the tag decoded.

PS: if you are interested, this post lists some other GJ4 1971 Chrysler owners.

The april green was a color my mother picked out. I'm not sure I have any pics of the Chrysler in this color. My brother had the car for many yrs and painted it a dark green. I have some pics of it in this color and will post later. I'm going back to the original color with the original dark green vinyl top.

The interior is still in decent shape. I will keep in this condition. I'm looking for the green buttons (some are missing). Very difficult to find these buttons.

The Chrysler came with the optional cassette tape player mounted on the tunnel. Still have this option. However it does not work. In need of belts, which I cannot find.

Only change from original is the wheels and I will add a passenger sideview mirror. I still have the original hubcaps. However, my brother lost the original wheels.

The Chrysler has its original drivetrain. Will post pics of engine later

The H3 split-back cloth-and-vinyl bench interior can be seen here (scan below courtesy of the Hamtramck Library). It turns out that the fabric (and, thus, the buttons) are the same as in the H9 interior (see below and confirm here). You might be able to retrieve the buttons from a 1971 sedan -- plenty more of which were produced with the H9F7 green interior than coupes with the H3F7 interior. If you are worried/feeling guilty about ripping out the buttons, just be aware that the 1971 fabric tends to fray, so many seats will be in need of re-upholstering and the cost of redoing them correctly is eye watering -- so most folks will not redo them "right" (I was quoted $2.5k by the guy who has done two of my cars, three years ago -- which is substantially more than for the 1971 Monaco and 1972 NYB that he did perfectly -- because of the seams pattern, and because the SMS fabric ain't cheap).

1666796466805.png

Last edited:
Heres a pic of the 440HP. There were approx 4400 CH23 2dr HT. No record of how many came with engine option. But could not have been that many.

20221026_104702.jpg

Definitely worth saving. Even has disc brakes. Interior same condition as mine.
At $1k, for sure. The ad disappeared, but it might be worth your while tracking the car. Not just for the buttons, but for example to get that steering wheel (I doubt your rim blow is intact and that its horn is working properly, whereas that car in Fond du Lac has a regular wheel whose horn contacts are unlikely to not work).

Actually, the rim blow still works, even though the rim is cracked. I have a steering wheel like this New Yorker as well as an NOS rimblow steering wheel. Sadly the rim blow feature on this NOS wheel does not work. Will try to fix it.

I will attempt to track it down. Probably badly rusted from where its located.

BTW I have all the trunk trim items. Purchased them many yrs ago.

Welcome Reed!

If you spend some time here, you will learn that @ayilar is data-driven and documents a lot of info that is useful to many folks later. (you've been given a taste of this already!)
He's exactly how I used to be, except 1000 times better.
He also organizes a yearly roadtrip event called CATL, which involves guys doing a sight-seeing trip thru various towns and doing meet-ups with local forum members.
Seems to be based in WI-Ill-IN areas.

@david hill and @saforwardlook are also 2 good resources on 69-71 Chrysler stuff. (other folks as well, but those 2 popped in my mind specifically for Chrysler)

Everyone else:
I met Reed about 15 years ago, don't remember exactly how, but it involved him getting lots of parts off a 70 New Yorker 4dr that a buddy and I were parting out.
He graciously invited me to a car show he hosted at his house, and even-more-graciously permitted me to drive one of his cars (a car worth far more than any budding friendship!).
We kept in contact until 2014 when the last email faded away. Periodically thought to check in with him - but we all know how that goes.
Within the last few weeks @ayilar asked me to keep an eye peeled for a U-code 71 Chrysler. I immediately thought of Reed, pinged his old email address, and fortunately he got it and replied. I mentioned FCBO to him, and he joined.

And now we're all current. :)

@RWCearley@sixpkrt owns a superb U-code 1971 NYer 2dr (that he’s been restoring with some help from @Xenon and @71Polara383). He found CH23U1C152920 in Ecorse, MI — GY5 with H3Y5 interior:

Here is the thread that he created about the restoration — lots of good info and tons of pics there:

He organizes an annual C-body Show in northern Illinois every June that gathers big Mopars from as far away as Canada (@cbarge I am looking at you) and members from as far as California (@73Coupe I’m looking at you) and DC (@Ripinator I’m looking at you).

Last edited:
Back