What are some factory oddities you've encountered with Mopars?

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
When I was working for a Chrysler-Plymouth-FIAT dealership in Colorado in 1978, we got a weird Volare' off the transporter. It was a Volare...on the driver's side, and on the MSO. The passenger side and the dash emblem said Aspen. There were other irregularities on this car, too; such as a VIN for a 225 car, but the car was equipped with a 318.

My '66 Coronet is a factory 361 car, but had torsion bars for a 225 "B"-body under it, until one broke under it in a parking lot in 1980. That's when I found out the bars were for a 225 car!

What have you guys encountered over the years with factory stuff that was on a car that was not supposed to be?

Just look at my Polara, it had a Fury stub frame under it!
A fury P/S box.
A Fury Dash...
Those Crazy Canadians!!!!!

missing right fender areal..instead have right rear power areal on a 71 fury

Are you certain that wasn't a radio delete car with the radio and antenna installed by the dealer?
Thats likely the correct answer for rear mounted antenna's.

There are several examples of 69 A12 cars with the antenna mounted on the rear 1/4. All were radio delete cars with dealer installed radios and antennas. It seems the fiber glass hood would not provide the necessary shielding and resulted in poor radio reception.

My guess is the Fury's antenna was mounted in the rear by customer choice.

definitely wasn't a radio delete...came with the center consul casset player on floor and radio...bin somewhat of a mystery...will sort it out in next few months when front fender comes off to see if pass fender has been patched where antenna should be but dosnt look like it...car was also a sales bank order y16 so they may have loaded it out..belive it was one of the last ones built so who knows...may have been dealer added but if no patch on pass fender either came from factory or fender was replaced which l don't belive happened either

definitely wasn't a radio delete...came with the center consul casset player on floor and radio...bin somewhat of a mystery...will sort it out in next few months when front fender comes off to see if pass fender has been patched where antenna should be but dosnt look like it...car was also a sales bank order y16 so they may have loaded it out..belive it was one of the last ones built so who knows...may have been dealer added but if no patch on pass fender either came from factory or fender was replaced which l don't belive happened either

It will be interesting to find the reason. Have you located a broadcast sheet in the car.....?

just tags but car has a history trail

reads as follows
PP23:
Plymouth Fury
Premium
2 Door Hardtop

U1D: 440 375HP? 2BBL 8 CYL
Belvidere, IL, USA

184981: Sequence number

E86: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
EW1: White Exterior Color
H5Y5: Trim - High, Cloth/Vinyl Bucket Seats, gold
000: Full Door Panels
C15: Build Date: December 15
830256: Order number

V1Y: Full Vinyl Top, Gold
C: Canada Specifications
A01: Light Package
A76: brougham package
A94: light reminder
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum

C21: Center Front Seat Cushion
C55: Bucket Seats
g11: tinted glass all
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
M81: Front Bumper Guards

P25: Power Left Front Seat
P31: Power Windows
R26: AM Radio with Cassette
V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
Y16: Sales Bank
CTD: Codes Continued on 2nd Fender Tag...second tag 26 -26 in rad

thought the U1D was V1D when l first got car till l learned what V1d was and rechecked tag...U dang

and one more oddity for ya'll to tear apart...mopar P/N 3573-643...is the T decal for 71 GT...however this P/N is for the T with 6bbl for a 71 GT..are 3 P/Ns one for gold,black,white...seems they had plans for 3x2 but they were nixed

I'm not sure how much of an oddity it is but I have never seen another one.

This is my 1967 Barracuda, California car with a 273-2, the air cleaner is the unsilenced style without the snorkel.
My grandfather purchased the car new the day it was delivered.

AirCleaner.jpg

This has a factory 2 barrel base, the air cleaner is black and is the same style as the chrome Commando one.
I had a 1967 Valiant with a 273-2 but it had a snorkel and is the same air cleaner that you see on all 2 barrel 273 and 318 around 67.

Alan

this could be the same with other manufacturers, but I have noted a higher frequency with Mopars: no buildsheet, two buildsheets, wrong buildsheet. but its easier to see how that happened versus some of the actual part anomalies on cars that left the plant as you all have referenced above.

Well I'm happy we didn't get stuck with a bunch of white elephants!

jeffry_mitchell.white_elephants.jpeg

I ordered my Wife ah '71 Mach in the fall of '70 and I and ran out of linez when I ordered it. When it hit the dealership it waz sporting ah Cougar rim-blow steering wheel. Bought ah used '53 Oldz Fiesta in '58 that had ah beer bottle rattling around in the passenger door too, doez that count?

My 69 300 seems to one of very few that never got the blackout paint treatment on the grille side of the core support. It was body color from day one.
There's countless stories from guys who worked on the line in those days. Cars rushed by them so fast it was well known the purposely skipped a car just so they could catch up.

What I'd like to know is on my previous "76 NYB, why did the trunk come with TWO layers of insulation and body sealer was applied with a fire hose. It was like a thermador in there.

Her that was a Wednesday car 2+ days of drying out definitely need a boost and can't through that away in regular trash.

My father drove company cars back in the day...the company he worked for drove Fords (Galaxies and Torinos mostly...some LTDs). He drove home one day in a brand new Gran Torino, after swapping out his old company car. The trunk letters read "DORF".

Not Mopar, but this is a GM story...Back in the early '80s, Brian Bosworth was quite the star for the Oklahoma Sooner football team. He worked at what was then the GM Assemply Plant here in the city. He bragged in an interview once that when he was working there, he and others would leave little "presents" in various cars. At that time, the Olds Cutlass and Chevy Celebrity were built there. They'd leave a glass bottle with pebbles in a random car each day, stuffed in a rear door or over the rear fenderwell to where it would be difficult for the new owner (or the dealership!) to find and remove

Back