What is correct belt width for power steering belt (1967) ?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This pertains to the small block LA 318 if that matters. On a car without A/C. I notice that my alternator belt seems to ride at the proper location in the pulleys, but the power steering belt seems to ride a lot lower. Both are 1/4 inch belts. Is this correct?

This pertains to the small block LA 318 if that matters. On a car without A/C. I notice that my alternator belt seems to ride at the proper location in the pulleys, but the power steering belt seems to ride a lot lower. Both are 1/4 inch belts. Is this correct?
I have a 68 318 LA powered Fury II. It doesn’t have A/C (yet).
I can check the power steering belt # in the morning. I thought it was wider.

In quickly looking at the belt section of the 1970 A.M.A Specs for Polaras/Monacos, (which is the easiest one I could find in my files), all of the OEM-production V-belts were of the .380" wide spec for that model year. A slightly wider .440" belt would ride higher in the groove and need to be a bit longer than the .380" wide belt, as a result. These specs were for all 1970 Dodge C-body V-8s.

I DO recall the '67 power steering belts on my '67 Newport (and prior model years, back to about 1960, probably, with the flex-mount system) took a wider belt than the other belts did. Maybe even up to .500" wide, but also probably the .440" wide belt.

IF the factory specs are written for .380" wide belts, take that length and add 1" to the belt's length, as a good rule of thumb, as the .440" belt will ride higher in the particular power steering pulley groove (sheave).

You might get a digital inside-outside caliper and measure the width of the power steering pulley groove about 1/2 way down from the outer lip and go from there in matching the correct belt WIDTH and length. Being wider is better than being narrower!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
I'm looking at the '67 Monaco/Polara service manual, it shows several diagrams of how the belts are routed, it gives tightning specs for the accessory belts, but doesn't actually give belt details like length / width or size code. Strange.

To make this a lot easier the 1967 V8 power steering belt is 1/2" wide. Wider than the alt belt.

By 1970 the power steering belts were downsized and the same width as the alt belts.

1967 DODGE POLARA 5.2L 318cid V8 Belt | Shop Now at RockAuto

Rock auto shows the term "belt outside circumference" and it ranges from 39 1/4 to 41 3/8. I wonder why they don't show belt width? That range in circumference needs some explanation. Some of these belts cost as little as $1 or $2.

Back