Wheel trim ring question, 69 Polara

polarnj

Reaction score
I have wheels that the previous owner said came from a mid-80s Gran Fury/Diplomat on my 69 Polara. I'd like to know what size trim rings would fit, it's currently black wheels with dog dish center caps. I think they are 15x7 wheels but not 100% on that

If they are 15" wheels, there are three different 15" trim rings, or at least two.

One would be for the 15x6 W23 Class II 16-Slot Road Wheels that were popular on Cordobas and New Yorkers in the middle 1970s. Also went back to 1970 with a "splined" center cap.

One would be for the 15x6.5 Rally Wheels which came on the 1976 Charger SE cars. Not sure if those rings were the same as the 15x6 W23s?

One would be for the 15x7 wheels, as in the 1979 Magnum GT wheels. These wheels look like the "cop car wheels", but have no nubs to hold a hub cap as they had a W23-style center cap. Also had a special high-metalflake silver paint on them. Sometimes more of a "mist" than a full-wet coat of paint.

There was also a 15x7 W23 wheel that was on the 1977 Chrysler Lebaron cars. One year only.

Measure the dimension from the outer edge of the wheel's lip to where the two sections meet. Look for trim rings which are less-wide than that dimension. Tell the vendor how wide you think your wheels are, too.

In all cases, nobody's trim rings went fully to the center section of the wheel. Always a gap there. But putting a too narrow ring on can look worse than no ring at all.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back