When did lower control arm pivot shaft lose the cotter pin?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what year did the pivot shaft lose the cotter pin. Below is an example:

524.jpg

On the right, the shaft with the hole was original to my '67 Monaco. The refurbished LCA and shaft on the left is what I'm going with. I hadn't noticed the difference until now, maybe this can help me nail down the model year for the replacement stub that I'm using. Bonus question - are there lock washers used here?

No lock washers, that's what the cotter pin was for. And the left side nut is a lock nut

Yes, "prevailing torque" due to the triangular shape of the threads on the nut. You can always put a thin nut on after the new nut, if desired. Torque to the specs with the new items, as the OEM items were not "locking nut oriented".

CBODY67

Ok, so did the locking nut replace the cotter pin in, 1968? 69? It couldn't or wouldn't be a Chrysler vs Dodge thing - could it?

Hard to say looking at the parts book,
66: 2207322
67: 2525072
68-73: 2808687
The illustrations all show the cotter pin (66-73)
The Pin, Nut and cotter were all an assembly (above numbers)

My 69s all didn't have the cotter pin
My 67s (a-body) didn't either.

Alan

I never paid much attention to them but my 60 Dart and 65 Sport Fury both have the cotter pin. My 68 Charger has the lock nuts. Not sure when they made the change. I do remember my 70 Challenger had (what I believe was) the lock nuts plus an eighth inch roll pin instead of a cotter pin.

I have parted out dozens of 67-73 c bodies.. I have never seen a cotter pin, lock nut or the like on lower control arm studs.. The strut rods have pins/cotters.

Let's not get A and B bodies in this C-body cotter pin discussion, since they Never had cotter pins from the factory.

Back