C-Body/E-Body Radio Compatibility?

daMoose52

Reaction score
Gearing up with a friend to redo the radio in my 1970 Chrysler Newport. What's in there is a more modern cassette player AM/FM radio, gives me like generic late 80s early 90s feel, which I was more or less indifferent to, I just wanted to get it working, but he got me onto some of the repro units that are retro-looking with modern functions and...well, I'm sold, lol.
A compatible 1970 Newport AM/FM push button unit has the radio and a pair of dials to the side (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...pyYI6wEOnIwr_CswmvSzG_LHO8ZdQ=&attredirects=0 )
I can't find anything specifying compatibility, but I did find something listed for a 1970-1971 E Body that's visually quite similar (1970-1971 Mopar E Body Radio )
Before I get too much into tech specs to confirm compatibility, I just wanted to ask the experts if something from a 1970 E Body model would work for a 1970 C Body model?

As to factory radios, the main difference between the Chrysler C-body and Dodge/Plymouth E-body radios is related to the angle in the instrument panel the radios mount at. On the E-body, the mounting is perpendicular, which means the dial insert and buttons are designed for that sort of mounting, so the buttons are solid on the top and the dial insert is also perpendicular, like the radio face.

On the C-body variants, the radio mounts at an angle. Might not seem like a big deal, but it results in the dial insert being also slanted to it can be read easily. Additionally, the solid part of the pushbuttons face the bottom, so the passenger sees them that way, with the inset for adjustment being hidden due to the mounting angle. All looks normal that way, but put them side by side on a table top and the differences are readily apparent.

Wiring? No difference. Mounting lugs, alignment pins, and bolt holes? No difference.

ONLY the Chrysler C-body radios are mounted at an angle. 1969-70 Dodge Polara/Monaco (C-body) radios mount perpendicularly, like the E-body radios. Plymouth C-body radios have a faceplate with a slight curve in them, thinner on one side than the other, but mount mostly perpendicularly, too. There might be some model year differences in the Plymouth and Dodge C-body radios, depending upon the model years they shared instrument panels or not shared inst panels.

Through the years, I know the Chrysler C-body and my '70 Monaco C-body radio differences. It's the model years when Dodge and Plymouth shared instrument panels that I am not as sure of, as to the model year break.

Take care,
CBODY67

If you don't mind making this into an under dash mount like a CB radio. An inexpensive option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VHLRNQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A24F413M74R78K&psc=1
I am trying to avoid "bolting" things on. Just not the aesthetic I'm looking for. Friend did find a generic unit with dials on either side, and some faceplates the replicated general era-appropriate looks, but I had stumbled on the one I linked, which is more of a visual match for a unit that could have been installed in the first place.

I am trying to avoid "bolting" things on. Just not the aesthetic I'm looking for. Friend did find a generic unit with dials on either side, and some faceplates the replicated general era-appropriate looks, but I had stumbled on the one I linked, which is more of a visual match for a unit that could have been installed in the first place.
IMHO, $865 with 6 month wait?? I'd have a stock radio converted for less than half the price and a 2-3 week turnaround. Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

That would fit with no issues and look 100% stock.. I've had two done (as have others) and I'm really happy with the results.

IMHO, $865 with 6 month wait?? I'd have a stock radio converted for less than half the price and a 2-3 week turnaround. Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

That would fit with no issues and look 100% stock.. I've had two done (as have others) and I'm really happy with the results.
Dollar-wise, for me it'll probably come out the same since I'd need to buy an era-appropriate one anyway, but that would still solve any questions about appearance/fit, and apparently angles and time; just nab a solid original and have them do the work :) Thanks for the pointer!!

For $865 you get a radio with crooked push buttons. They are nice and straight on the original factory radio in the E body we have.

Dollar-wise, for me it'll probably come out the same since I'd need to buy an era-appropriate one anyway, but that would still solve any questions about appearance/fit, and apparently angles and time; just nab a solid original and have them do the work :) Thanks for the pointer!!
I think you should be able to find a decent "core" for under a $100. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a plain AM radio will work very nicely.

I have a converted AM radio in my Barracuda and a converted AM-FM signal seeking version in my '70 300 that's kind of cool, but except for the signal seeking part, they function identically.

Back