My new to me 1959 Dodge Coronet

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to introduce my new to me 1959 Dodge Coronet 2 dr HT. I started looking for this car when I saw the post on the "Bastardized Coronet" posted by Wetskier2000. Once I saw the grumpy front end and those amazing fins/tail lights I knew I was in love and I had to have one. I started searching and could only find either completely restored cars or rusted out basket cases. I did find a few 4 door cars but knew I wanted a 2 dr HT and that was a task. After a few months looking I talked to SGT FURY from this site and he recommended John at Big M Auto. I had previously bought parts for my 1958 Plymouth Belvedere from John but did not know he had complete cars. So, I called John and to my surprise...he told me he had the exact car I was looking for. My daughter and I ended up taking a 1,000 mile trip to see the car and...well...I had to have it...so I bought it.

The car turned out to be everything John said it was and more. The floors are absolutely perfect....no rust at all. The frames, the rockers, the fenders etc are perfect. The interior is complete and the seats don't even have any tears in them. It also has the original headliner, glove box, much of the original blue carpet/pad...you name it and it has it...all original. The only rust John mentioned was in the trunk...and that is really not bad at all. John did mention that the original owner parked the car a long time ago (the license plate tags say 1976 and there is also a registration card on the sun visor from 1976). The owner removed the spark plugs....I guess for a tune up and never put them back. The spark plugs were still sitting on the intake manifold. The car was parked in a garage but some surface rust has accumulated in the engine over those 48 years and I'm hopeful I can get it turning over. There is a little surface rust on the back end. John mentioned the car was too long for the small garage and the back end stuck out.

My plans are to get this engine freed up and hopefully get it running. After that....well, only time will tell.

Thanks for letting me share.

Passenger front.jpg

Driver front.jpg

Passenger rear.jpg

Interior.jpg

Interior rear.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

People here spend years searching for that one car they really want, some still searching, and you found one in a few months. Congratulations on a great find!

Thanks for the comments. My kids love the car and have already nicknamed it "The Grinch". On a side note, it had a mix of rims on it, 15" and 14", so I'm looking at getting the correct set. I believe the car should have 15" rims with 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. Can someone confirm that? Thanks again.

They were all 14" in 1957-1960. Even the Chrysler 300's

Really? I've done some searching for factory hubcaps and most everything I see that matches what would have come on the car from the factory is shown as a 15" hubcap. These are the 2 types I keep seeing and both seem to be shown on the 1959 Dodge Coronet. Which one is correct or was one an upgrade?

15 inch Dodge 1959 Hubcap .jpg

15 inch Dodge 1959 Hubcap 2.jpg

The hubcaps pictured look (to me) like they are designed to make a smaller rim look larger, or at least completely hide the steel rim.

I don't know specifics on dodges, but the Chrysler has 14" would the dodges have 15's?

Great car, too bad the back end hung out, the front is very nice. John is nice to deal with.

I'm no expert on these, but I think the bottom cover is for the Custom Royal Lancer, which is one Dodge I have ALWAYS wanted, but I digress....... I THINK the top one is the "standard" Dodge wheel cover.

The Forward Look Network is a great resource for these cars as well, and they definitely know better than I would.

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm hoping the engine frees up but if not, then will probably pull the heads.

Started some of the clean up today. For a car that looked so clean, I was AMAZED by the mouse nests under the rear seat. Took several hours to get it cleaned out. The amazing part is they did not damage the seats, door panels or headliner. Just packed the seats with junk. The floors are completely solid...not one hole anywhere....just some surface rust. Fun, fun fun....

Rear floor.jpg

Rear seat back.jpg

Rear seat bottom.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm hoping the engine frees up but if not, then will probably pull the heads.

Started some of the clean up today. For a car that looked so clean, I was AMAZED by the mouse nests under the rear seat. Took several hours to get it cleaned out. The amazing part is they did not damage the seats, door panels or headliner. Just packed the seats with junk. The floors are completely solid...not one hole anywhere....just some surface rust. Fun, fun fun....

View attachment 661101

View attachment 661102

View attachment 661103
You never heard of Hantavirus?
Only an EPA certified Haz-Mat team should have cleaned that interior. Or a respirator at the least. Seriously, you shouldn't have handled that stuff.

Got the floor pans cleaned up today. There is surface rust but not one single hole in the front or rear floor pan. It's a labor of love that's for sure!!

Dodge front floor pan.jpg

Dodge rear floor pan.jpg

the Dodge wheels should be 14 inches.. nice car! That's a one year only 326 poly motor. The difference is the bore and it's the only one with hydraulic valvetrain.

Good morning!! The weekend was busy but fulfilling. I was able to pressure wash the car and get 48 years of grime, dirt and crap off the paint. The car cleaned up very well. I even did a little polishing of the chrome. Also added some whitewall tires and got the interior floor and trunk completely cleaned as well as the interior and put rust reformer on the floor and trunk. Next step will be to paint the floor and trunk. I also got the engine compartment pressure washed. Was the factory air intake and valve covers red?

Car pressured washed and cleaned.jpg

Engine pressured washed.jpg

Front floor prep.jpg

Back