Question about 1967 Chrysler 300 fender tag

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've stumbled across someone selling this car (or parts from this car) in Alberta. He says the car is not salvagable but has some useful pieces, like interior door cards. Anyways, here's the fender tag:

300-fender-tag-2.jpg

My questions are - no radio code?

And what is engine code 81?

If there's any code there that are unknown to FCBO at large, let me know and I can ask the guy if the car has this or that. The car is red with white interior. Power windows. I've seen interior pics of the doors and rear seat / rear window but not the front seats or dash, or the exterior. Looks like a Windsor-built car (w6).

I've stumbled across someone selling this car (or parts from this car) in Alberta. He says the car is not salvagable but has some useful pieces, like interior door cards. Anyways, here's the fender tag:

View attachment 659994

If there's any code there that are unknown to FCBO at large, let me know and I can ask the guy if the car has this or that. The car is red with white interior. Power windows. I've seen interior pics of the doors and rear seat / rear window but not the front seats or dash, or the exterior. Looks like a Windsor-built car (w6).
Hey there, I cannot answer all of your questions, but someone might correct me if I'm mistaken that engine code 81 referred to a 440.

View attachment 659994

Radios were an option. While the vast majority of cars were built with a radio, it's possible this one wasn't.

While the car does code w/6, built for sale in Canada, I don't think the Windsor plant built Chryslers for MY 67. I think you'll find the VIN is CM23K731xxxxx.

My 67 Barracuda has no radio code on the tag and it absolutely did come with a radio new, sort of watching the car unload my grandparents purchased the car the day it was delivered.
The car also has power steering, not on the tag. An item not easily added at the dealer.

Both part of a Package, maybe that had something to do with it

Alan

My 67 Barracuda has no radio code on the tag and it absolutely did come with a radio new, sort of watching the car unload my grandparents purchased the car the day it was delivered.
The car also has power steering, not on the tag. An item not easily added at the dealer.

Both part of a Package, maybe that had something to do with it

Alan
What was coded when it was coded and where something was coded on the tag varies year to year, plant to plant and even within the model year.

Each plant has wide discretion as to what and how things were coded.

Not all options or items were coded on the tag. Typically, only items related to body assembly (a/c cowl, radiator support), brackets (console) or holes punched for moldings, attachments (side scoops), or wiring/cabling (tachometer, air grabber hood) are coded. Suspension, steering and wheels don’t usually fall under the guidelines.

Package items tend to be coded individually also. Nuances and variations exist by year and plant.

Typically, 67 Hamtrack would code a radio. Is the radio listed on the broadcast sheet or window sticker?

Mid to late 70s Windsor built cars do not code radios on the tag yet they show up on paperwork.

What was coded when it was coded and where something was coded on the tag varies year to year, plant to plant and even within the model year.

Each plant has wide discretion as to what and how things were coded.

Not all options or items were coded on the tag. Typically, only items related to body assembly (a/c cowl, radiator support), brackets (console) or holes punched for moldings, attachments (side scoops), or wiring/cabling (tachometer, air grabber hood) are coded. Suspension, steering and wheels don’t usually fall under the guidelines.

Package items tend to be coded individually also. Nuances and variations exist by year and plant.

Typically, 67 Hamtrack would code a radio. Is the radio listed on the broadcast sheet or window sticker?

Mid to late 70s Windsor built cars do not code radios on the tag yet they show up on paperwork.
On my 67 Barracuda the Radio is not on the Broadcast sheet either, I'm not here to debate the originality of my car having a Radio but knowing the the history of the 67 Barracudas be a late entry car and my grandparents getting one of the very first cars (within days of it being delivered). I feel it is HIGHLY UNLIKLY that the dealer felt compelled to install a radio on a car that was likely to sell within days. Its not like the car was going to be a hard sell without a radio.

Alan

Radios were an option. While the vast majority of cars were built with a radio, it's possible this one wasn't.

While the car does code w/6, built for sale in Canada, I don't think the Windsor plant built Chryslers for MY 67. I think you'll find the VIN is CM23K731xxxxx.

Indeed, the VIN is CM23K73140242

This '67 300 is being offered as a parts car along with a '68 Polara 500 with 318. The Polara is apparently still functional but needs some stub-frame r&r from the pics I see. It has a 318, hence the 300 would act as the donor car for the engine and power windows (and windshield, the Polara needs a new windshield). They are located in Red Deer Alberta. From the sounds of the other cars they have, I'm surprised they or he are not FCBO. The 300/Polara pair is being offered for $3850 CAD. It's on Kijiji presently.

My 2 cents, Here is the "decoded" fender tag from my 67 Coronet 440. I find pre 69 fender tag's a challenge but I got this info from a seemingly very knowledgeable 67 Charger owner. Hope this helps you.

1715348865544.png

Line 1&2:
Code w – 6 = Built to Canadian Specifications
Line 3&4:
Code X – 2 = Tinted Windshield Only
Line 5&6:
Code 1 – 5 = Drip Rail Molding
Code AX – 2 = 2.94 Axle Ratio
Code TRM – H1Q = Dark Turquoise Interior
Code PNT – KL2 = Two Tone Paint, Medium Turquoise Roof, Dark Turquoise Body
Code U – L = Dark Turquoise Upper Door Frame
Line 7:
Code W = Dodge Coronet
Code H = Coronet 440
Code 4 = 4 Door
Code 1 = Sedan
Code 31 = 273, 2bbl V8
Code 5 = 3sp Automatic
Code 33 = 7.35x14 Whitewall Tires
Code 5 = Spare Tire, same as other 4.
Code 5 = Scheduled Production Month, May 1967
Code 09 = Scheduled Production Day, 9th
Code 06545 = Shipping/Order Number

View attachment 659994

My info shows that it should have a console, bucket seats, rear heater, bumper reveal moldings, turn signal indicators, cornering lamps, drivers' power seat, power windows, rear window defogger, tinted windows, and a white vinyl top. I'm not sure what a V2 is....door edge moldings maybe?

I'll be looking at the 67 300 parts car in Alberta this weekend as our cabin is just 10 minuets down the road.
I need a few chrome pieces so hopefully they will be there. The car is about an hour west of Red Deer.
Thanks for posting about this parts car.

I'll be looking at the 67 300 parts car in Alberta this weekend as our cabin is just 10 minuets down the road.
I need a few chrome pieces so hopefully they will be there. The car is about an hour west of Red Deer.
Thanks for posting about this parts car.

Just FYI - I sent you a PM about this.

Back