Have to painted or have new vintl put on on 67 Sport Fury fast top?

jareed17

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a dilemma. Should I get my 1967 Sport Fury Fast top painted a nice gloss black, or should I have the vinyl top replaced? I haven't found any pictures of a Fury fast top with a black painted roof, but I think it would look good and reduce the rust issue vinyl tops create. I do plan on having my car repainted as well. Probably a sky blue color, though I do like the brownish copper color I have now. Also, since I have to get the rest of the car repainted, would it be cheaper to get the top painted or new vinyl? I think I remember hearing that if your going to paint a roof that was previous vinyl, you have to cut the chrome/modify the drip guards above the doors. I'm looking to get it done in early February, so I need to make up my mind, haha.

Thanks.

CAM00163.jpg

CAM00163.jpg

Great looking car, I might find it difficult to change the color and I'd put a vinyl back on. Either way you have to fix any rust and the likelihood that rust will come back after the new paint is slim if done right.

I like the Vinyl roof... and love the rocker panel molding ... it adds pop to the car :eek:ccasion14:

I like the gloss black roof look. My '68 Dart was set up that way. The previous owner had done it, so I'm not sure what he did with the molding, though.

It's my plan for my car when the time comes.

First choice - Original color + black vinyl top. You asked.

Second choice - Triple black with vinyl top

"No way in hell!!!" choice - Blue!!!

I'm with Patrick on the first two but do like blue and white top.

I'd keep the colors and replace the top .. Like Matt said you'll never have to worry about it if done right. They last a long time

I'd keep the colors and replace the top .. Like Matt said you'll never have to worry about it if done right. They last a long time

waveandpointdown.jpg

waveandpointdown.jpg

Last edited:

Good point, Bryan.

View attachment 23848
Good point, Bryan.

As always...I say go with original. If not for any other reason, think about this. The first owner bought the car because of the way it looked...not the way it could look. They had good taste..something appealed to them about their car. I think original c-body owners had foresight. Disclaimer: MHO

Back