Have to painted or have new vintl put on on 67 Sport Fury fast top?

The difference is I hate them enough to remove them when they should be there to remain correct. The rocker panel trim especially. Rust heaven.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks guys. I think I made my mind up to go with a new black vinyl top instead of painting it. I'll be taking into the shop in about two weeks. Hopefully it won't take too long. I don't like not being able to drive her while she's away at the shop!

That's good, I'll cancel my plain ticket. I was about to fly down for the intervention...

No you're not ;) I prefer the non-vinyl look too. Especially on these coupes!
United we three stand,
The vinyl must fall.

For me it's purely an esthetic;
vinyl tops and convertibles are absolutely barbaric.. Butchery!
An outright affront to the beauty of line and form. I'm anti-vinyl for the simple fact that it is... anti-car.

If you must butcher the car with vinyl, then you must go black on black, or white on white, etc...

*Although I must admit that a matching color body paint to vinyl roof catches me off guard occasionally as attractive.

So what if I'm 3 years late to this party :)

Last edited:
Anti-vinyl here. I'm the lone voice.
I also dislike rocker panel molding to the disdain of the purists.

United we three stand,
The vinyl must fall.

For me it's purely an esthetic;
vinyl tops and convertibles are absolutely barbaric.. Butchery!
An outright affront to the beauty of line and form. I'm anti-vinyl for the simple fact that it is... anti-car.

If you must butcher the car with vinyl, then you must go black on black, or white on white, etc...

So what if I'm 3 years late to this party :)

Hey guys, I have a dilemma. Should I get my 1967 Sport Fury Fast top painted a nice gloss black, or should I have the vinyl top replaced? I haven't found any pictures of a Fury fast top with a black painted roof, but I think it would look good and reduce the rust issue vinyl tops create. I do plan on having my car repainted as well. Probably a sky blue color, though I do like the brownish copper color I have now. Also, since I have to get the rest of the car repainted, would it be cheaper to get the top painted or new vinyl? I think I remember hearing that if your going to paint a roof that was previous vinyl, you have to cut the chrome/modify the drip guards above the doors. I'm looking to get it done in early February, so I need to make up my mind, haha.

Thanks.

View attachment 23789

View attachment 23789
I love 67 Furys.. I sincerely hope you're happy with the results!

Back