Need advice for improving brake performance on my 1963 300 Pacesetter

Several years ago, the entire "WIX" operation was purchased by MAHLE, which also sells Mann filters. That might be what you are seeing. The first place I saw Mann filters was at AutoZone. I didn't now who "Mann" was, but apparently they had been in Germany, and even OEM over there, for a long time. Still, I stayed with USA brand filters. Perhaps you next filters might be Motorcraft?

Motorcraft? That's what all of the service stations here in town used to use for Chrysler engines. The old FL1-A also fit Chryslers. They also had a similar item for the "short" version, too. For many reasons, I will tend to trust OEM brands rather than not, unless I have found something in the aftermarket that is available, at a good price/value, and might even better.

NAPA was probably the first "big box parts seller", way back when. Echlin is their in-house brand of ignition components, which also owns (or did own) Accel ignition. In recent years, the Accel line has pretty much been killed with their decreases in model coverage and fewer part numbers in their portfolio of parts.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
MANN goes way back. Rudolph Diesel, the man himself, worked with them.

On the current NAPA customer service front.
I bought a 67 Toronado last year that had been sitting unattended under roof for about 10 years. There was a never installed Napa a/c compressor in a VERY old box in the truck, as in many years old box. No witness marks of any kind on the compressor. No plastic wrap, no receipt, just oil content instructions. The compressor showed signs of light case corrosion on the otherwise nice clean exterior. So, I installed the compressor and it leaked because of improper assemble at the back case plate. The big O ring was pinch fitted external to the case, not set into the case. It's a A6 gm style compressor.
Napa said the part # is good and here's your new rebuilt replacement compressor.
I think that is very good customer service.

Last edited:
The brakes on my 1963 300 Pacesetter were virtually non-operational. It has "power" brakes." (Scare quotes are deliberate...) Four drums, single pot master cylinder. Oh **** braking performance. So, I replaced the master cylinder, all the flexible hoses, the wheel cylinders and the brake shoes. Bled the system unit my knuckles bled. The pedal is firm. Still, when stepping on the brakes, the car responds, "Did you want something from me?"
When looking to change to disc brakes, much research and several calls came up either empty or unhelpful. "Your 1963 is an odd-ball year. Send us your spindles and we'll see what we can do."
Well, that ain't happening.
So, I throw this out to you. Is it possible that the drum brakes be made operational? Did I miss something? Did I get an undersized or defective master cylinder? Or the wrong wheel cylinders? I don't think so, but this is making me doubt everything.
Is a disc brake/dual master cylinder option even available? I don't have confidence in what is being "sold" to me.
I appreciate any help, comments, or empathy from this group of fellow MOPAR masochists. Sorry, I meant, "enthusiasts."
Thanks for any help,
Fwd Look Fan

View attachment 659752
As far as drums and brake shoes go, send them to J and G. If they are turned over spec, they will install a iron liner into the drum to bring it back to stock diameter. They have been doing this for years on all makes. Plus, they will reline your shoes with a thicker, more modern friction material and then arc them to perfectly fit each drum, new liner or not.

Then you will be testing your seat belts, my 64 K stops on a dime. I also changed to a MOPAR drum/drum master for Chryslers.
62 63 64 65 66 DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH DUAL CONVERSION MASTER CYLINDER | eBay
Saw this too, not sure if it is a direct fit, but those tubes do bend a little. 62-64 Dodge Mopar Dual Master Conversion Cylinder Block and Brake Lines Tubes | eBay
By the way, your car is absolutely beautiful!

As far as drums and brake shoes go, send them to J and G. If they are turned over spec, they will install a iron liner into the drum to bring it back to stock diameter. They have been doing this for years on all makes. Plus, they will reline your shoes with a thicker, more modern friction material and then arc them to perfectly fit each drum, new liner or not.

Then you will be testing your seat belts, my 64 K stops on a dime. I also changed to a MOPAR drum/drum master for Chryslers.
62 63 64 65 66 DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH DUAL CONVERSION MASTER CYLINDER | eBay
Saw this too, not sure if it is a direct fit, but those tubes do bend a little. 62-64 Dodge Mopar Dual Master Conversion Cylinder Block and Brake Lines Tubes | eBay
By the way, your car is absolutely beautiful!

Finally someone with the CORRECT solution! I knew such things existed, but I'm 'old' and out of touch!

That's a true solution, spend what it costs and you will love the results. I grew up with showroom new factory Mopar Drum brake cars and I promise you, they STOPPED great.

Bruce

I checked before I closed the eBay window, and the brake line kits fits a 64 Dodge 880. That's pretty close to the Chryslers I do believe!

Re-sleeving brake drums and arching shoes when there are no other options that have readily available replacement parts for future service is an excellent and expensive but way to go.

Re-sleeving brake drums and arching shoes when there are no other options that have readily available replacement parts for future service is an excellent and expensive but way to go.

Yes, it does cost a bunch, but as number people have gone the disc brake conversion route sticking with 14 in wheels, they ultimately switched back. Shortcuts always cost more in the end.
If you can find suitable new drums from Timbuktu and cut the old ones off and remount them, and not arc the skinny lining shoes, you are still compromised.
Safety is paramount, and with the proper repairs, I hope we all live long enough to have to go through this endeavor again. But we will be alive since our brakes work!
I have had three cars where the single master went out, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I have better options to do away with myself!

'Once upon a time', it was common practice to 'arc' a set of brake shoes to the freshly recut drum. That was when there were shops with MECHANICS in the bay, not 'Diagnostic Code Readers'. I personally would not let any of the modern breed of 'Technician' touch my vehicles.

Yes, it does cost a bunch, but as number people have gone the disc brake conversion route sticking with 14 in wheels, they ultimately switched back. Shortcuts always cost more in the end.
If you can find suitable new drums from Timbuktu and cut the old ones off and remount them, and not arc the skinny lining shoes, you are still compromised.
Safety is paramount, and with the proper repairs, I hope we all live long enough to have to go through this endeavor again. But we will be alive since our brakes work!
I have had three cars where the single master went out, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I have better options to do away with myself!

I haven't had to resort to any of the aftermarket disc conversion kits. I don't think I would go that route.
Fitting the factory disc from later year cars has worked with great success. But, I've not put little disc brakes on a big car yet.
Using new drums from other year cars has worked well for the rear brakes. In the case of a 64/64 full size Chrysler, the drum would be a 72 new Yorker rear drum for both front and rear for the 63/63. The new drums almost always (do) need to be cut. It's either round or it's not, there's no usable condition in between.
Arcing the new shoes to the new drums is accomplished by lining the drum with sticky back sandpaper and running the new shoes around the new drum. Either by hand or by inverting the drum on the axle and spinning it with the engine idled down as far as possible.
I trust a single chamber master cylinder, all the way to ten MPH.

Drum Brakes have acquired a 'bad rap' over the years due to customers asking for 'The CHEAPEST one you've got' at the parts counter. You can trust me on that, I did retail Car Parts for 15 years, half of that as a Store Manager in a small rural town. Over and over, for both Disc Pads and Drum Brake Shoes, 90% of the customers would ask for the Cheap ones. That also included almost all of the Repair Shops as well.

So now we have a generation of folks that have never driven a Four Wheel Drum Car that has properly working Brakes. To make matters worse, there is an 'Industry' built up to sell those folks on Disc Conversions and 'talk down' Drum systems. Personally, on a vehicle with 'nice wheels' I get tired of washing 'Disc Dust' off of 'em. If I did anything, I'd be converting from Disc to Drum.

Bruce

We've also lost the appreciation for spring-powered alarm clocks.

The bad rap started back when drum brakes were new.
Road tests from back in the day had criticism for drumbrakes fading in successive stops and pulling out of a straight line.
When discs became available, the factory spec'd them on HD packages and police packages. Eventually - on the front of everything.

Buying more-expensive shoes won't guarantee they stop any better, there's no data available to the consumers on that (not at the parts store, anyway).
So they buy the cheapest.
Arcing a shoe's friction material to the drum, and adjusting them properly from the get-go, are 2 steps that aren't required with discs.

The OEM world moved on to discs 50 years ago - skills fade away when those skills become no longer relevant.
Yes, there are some sketchy conversion kits out there, and/or ones that have earned a bad rap for low quality parts.
But that does not diminish that the physics of heat rejection of a disc brake is superior to a drum brake.

We've also lost the appreciation for spring-powered alarm clocks.

The bad rap started back when drum brakes were new.
Road tests from back in the day had criticism for drumbrakes fading in successive stops and pulling out of a straight line.
When discs became available, the factory spec'd them on HD packages and police packages. Eventually - on the front of everything.

Buying more-expensive shoes won't guarantee they stop any better, there's no data available to the consumers on that (not at the parts store, anyway).
So they buy the cheapest.
Arcing a shoe's friction material to the drum, and adjusting them properly from the get-go, are 2 steps that aren't required with discs.

The OEM world moved on to discs 50 years ago - skills fade away when those skills become no longer relevant.
Yes, there are some sketchy conversion kits out there, and/or ones that have earned a bad rap for low quality parts.
But that does not diminish that the physics of heat rejection of a disc brake is superior to a drum brake.
Funny... I'm ... OLD ... and was driving NEW cars starting in the late 60's, along with all my buddies. Not ONCE do I recall any of those issues with those vehicles. I had a New 1970 GTX with drums all around, a buddy had a Charger R/T with Disc Front. We basically street raced all the time and there was no noticeable difference in our stopping performance.

Well it seems on here many have difficulty accepting that the proper use of modern brake lining materiel AND proper set up - a drum brake car will STOP! under duress. There is this thinking that only nos asbestos linings are what should be installed or junk was bought from RA or some auto parts store.

It may take a little more due diligence now to find a source for linings and arcing of the shoes to match the drums but it is not rocket science. There are 2 reliable material sources that have now been identified, use them. Rochester Clutch & Brake is the other.

As the OP complaints...proper choice of materials etc will reliably solve your stopping issues.

The first problem is getting new drums that are round.
The second problem is finding someone to make the defective not round new drums round.
They may have been round when they were put in the box new, probably not. But after they sit on their sides on the shelf for decades, or get dropped on their sides by the shipper, they're ain't round no more. And who checks NOS drums before they ship them out?
So, without you got a brake lathe handy, you're **** out of luck.
Arcing the shoes? Piece of cake. Just run them around the sandpaper lined drum.
Third problem? Just how straight are the metal plates that the lining is attached to?
Get problems 1,2,3 fixed, and the car will stop with any lining. Except the early OLDS TORONADOS.
Don't fix problems 1,2,3 and the brakes will be running the show. All over the road.

The better the contact area you make between the drum and shoe, via turning and arcing, the more heat you can generate. Which equals a faster stop.
Which ironically leads to the main disadvantage of drum brakes - heat buildup causes the drum to enlarge in diameter (and/or bellmouth) and ruin that contact relationship that was perfected with lathing and arcing. Unless the shoe can distort to match the hot drum - but that absorbs some force from the wheel cylinder that should be used for braking.
So the faster you can stop - the sooner your brakes might fade?

I will concede that perhaps this reduced contact, but with the better friction material, might still perform better than before, though. Maybe only on stop #1, though.
I want to see data for how well they stop on #2 and 3 vs a comparable disc brake.

When the brake rotor enlarges from the heat - geometry/fitment of the pads to the rotor is unchanged.
And the drum brake heats on the inside, and must conduct it to the outside surface, while the rotor's hottest surfaces are directly exposed to cooling air.
So a brake rotor could theoretically not get hot (except on the braking surfaces) while a brake drum must get hotter throughout in order to shed heat.
So regardless of how optimized a drum brake is, it's inherent disadvantages to a disc brake are unchanged.

Oh, you could put the Fusey finned drums on a lighter Slab, or get 3"-wide front drums instead of 2-3/4", and get some additional improvement. But that's not what we're talking about here. And until someone can show me data that a drumbrake can outperform a disc brake on multiple heavy stops - I'm going with discs.

I got a 67 Toronado with drum brakes. It stops just fine from 80, exactly one time. That's it, just one time. Then they are cooked and smoking. It's a disaster. Total fail.
The Toronados with disc do work much better. But even the factory disc aren't big enough for that 65/35 front heavy car. You get two stops with the disc. So, they are twice as good.
The finned rear drums from the 72 New Yorker work better on the 64 New Yorker front and rear than what came on the 64, but not enough better. So, I put late 70s Chrysler disc on the front, that fixed it.

It sounds like maybe your booster isn't up to the task. Probably needs a rebuild. You have replaced everything else. In my opinion, you should have replaced that single pot master cylinder with a dual bowl unit but that more than likely is not your immediate problem.
There are some disc swaps that will work with your car but if you go that route, you will need to upgrade the booster with a dual diaphragm because the single diaphragm unit you have now will not provide enough boost. Plus, you would need to replace the master cylinder with a disc brake unit and replace the distribution block with a proportioning valve because the discs require more pressure than the rear drums want. There are tons of information out there so do your research before you make a plan.
Sixpactogo: I finally got it together to pull the booster. I'd say you are exactly correct. The visual evidence is compelling. It's nasty looking!
Thanks for you reply and for your advice. The booster is off for a rebuild.
I hope to have it back in time put the 300 together for Carlisle.
Good luck, and maybe I'll see you down the road.

Booster_01.jpgBooster_02.jpg

Back