New Member, New Polara

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9197.JPG

I'm back in the "careful cuts to make careful cuts to make careful cuts" phase.

This whole pocket is pretty bad and it's about 4 layers deep. No one piece of it is too hard to fab on it's own, but getting it apart and even just getting myself in there is not easy.

IMG_9195.JPG

The junkyard also cut up the inner tub so i only kinda have most of it.

Now that T shaped piece on there is much better than what's on the car. But the left hand bit is cut off and it's very deeply tied into every part of the car. And without removing the tailgate, I'm not getting those spot welds. I think i'm just going to cut out the original tub, leave that T shaped piece in, and whatever parts i'm missing i'll just fab. I'm not missing any compound curves so it shouldn't be too bad. The flanges I can make with the bead roller.

Next step is to wire brush the whole tub. 60 years of rust and dirt inside a tiny 2' x 3' box.

wheeeee.

Last edited:
Love Seeing updates on one of my 2 favorite current projects. I thought my project was formidable and you are making it look like a grain of sand on your beach.

IMG_9208.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

Began brushing the tub. came out looking like a coal miner and/or victorian batman.

The hack fraud bodyshop strikes again. Complete with booger welds and failed weld wire sticking out. Though whatever undercoat they used is ******* amazing and not even the wire brush can dent it. I have to melt it with the blowtorch before it lets go. Quality hackery!

You can see they cut up the inner tub and just welded it to the quarter panel. They appear to have filled the entire lower quarter with bondo to make it look flush. I'm sure that's about 20 pounds of the stuff. Not sure what to do about it.

The entire corner looks to be junk and the entire tailgate sill appears to be bondo. Probably going to have to fab that entire panel from scratch once everything else is done. I cannot get it out without removing the tailgate.

I'm going to try to get the inner inner tub out in as close to one piece as i can so i can use it as a template to fab the missing parts of the new one. Everything else is pretty simple to draw up, just a lot of it.

Avanti!

View attachment 666282
View attachment 666283
View attachment 666284

View attachment 666285

Began brushing the tub. came out looking like a coal miner and/or victorian batman.

The hack fraud bodyshop strikes again. Complete with booger welds and failed weld wire sticking out. Though whatever undercoat they used is ******* amazing and not even the wire brush can dent it. I have to melt it with the blowtorch before it lets go. Quality hackery!

You can see they cut up the inner tub and just welded it to the quarter panel. They appear to have filled the entire lower quarter with bondo to make it look flush. I'm sure that's about 20 pounds of the stuff. Not sure what to do about it.

The entire corner looks to be junk and the entire tailgate sill appears to be bondo. Probably going to have to fab that entire panel from scratch once everything else is done. I cannot get it out without removing the tailgate.

I'm going to try to get the inner inner tub out in as close to one piece as i can so i can use it as a template to fab the missing parts of the new one. Everything else is pretty simple to draw up, just a lot of it.

Avanti!
The vehicle just keeps giving!
I am glad that you have patience and are progressing!

I just read your thread from the beginning, a great read. Always amazing what bodgery can lie under the paint of an old car, I remember one holden panelvan I had where I discovered new outer sill/rockers had been tacked on top of the original rusted out ones - after grinding off buckets of filler I cut two tacks and then ripped them off by hand! Hopefully my Polara has no such suprises under the skin. Keep up the awesome work

IMG_9232.JPG

Hey wow this sucks!

Looks like water got between the tub wall, tailgate sill and D pillar. Major surgery inbound, it's all coming out.

The tailgate sill has been revealed to be nothing but bondo. And annoyingly, appears to be an extention of the d pillar wall. At this point the tailgate is the only thing holding the bottom of the sill square. Can't remove that angle iron either, there is nothing else there. Going to have to patch the D pillar skin and just leave myself enough to weld to on the other side, and i'lll make the sill anew from the top afterwards.

Interestingly though, between the tub brace, tub wall and D pillar, there was a rubber gasket between the welded panels. I've never seen that before, and it must be original, there's no other way to get in here and all the spot welds are untouched. Very strange.

IMG_9229.JPG

IMG_9228.JPG

Taking templates as i go, cutting everything out. Just a lot of very simple stuff arranged in a very specific order. We'll get there.

Last edited:
Back