Newby Newport!

"Dave's not here man" kinda Dave or?

Wow, never seen that before, that's the beauty of these old rides, they all have stories to tell us when we restore them of previous owners mis-guided but sometimes well meant "modifications".

Nick

LOL "Dave's not here man" that's a great line brother.

Sorry guys. If the crankcase ventilation system is closed off the suction could lead to a crack in the light weight metal valley pan gasket. If that insulation package, which was in a closed flat tin foil bag, was there and laying on the crack it could have got sucked into the engine and dispersed throughout. I had such a crack develop when I was a kid. Oil started getting up out of the valley area and onto the valley pan making a real mess. I hadn't recognized what caused the crack and put a rag there for a short term measure (no insulationg package present on that engine) until I had a new valley pan gasket to replace it with and when i drove the car the next day ... it sucked the rag right into the lifter valley and chewed the rag to pieces and it was stuck everywhere. But we caught it quickly when the oil pressure suddenly died, diagnosed the problem and took the top end apart and picked the bits of rag out of the lifter bores etc.

I corrected the crankcase vent problem, put a new valley pan gasket on and no more problems.

Whoever the OP was. Was the valley pan cracked at all ??

I went back to the beginning of the thread and checked it all out.

I see the answer was no and you guys were already on this line of thought. Sorry to be so presumptuous fellas.

Perhaps it had happened years ago, got fixed with a new pan gasket and was sitting in there but somehow not causing problems when it was a daily runner ?? and after setting for so long ....

IDK

Or like has been suggested some unwitting dumbass put the valley pan insulation package under the valley pan years ago. From the pics the valley pan is old and had some paint on it where no paint, rust .. so it wasn't a recent, or even recent when it was running, replacement.

That pics I saw when going back to the beginning remind me of my situation with the rag. It was ripped to pieces and bits were wrapped around the cam, stuck in lifter bores etc. We pulled the oil pump, checked it out (don't recall if the rag got in there). We picked it all out and luckily and miraculously had oil pressure again.

Last edited:
I think the use of the thanks button is about to increase on this site.

He said that there wasn't any holes or cracks in the valley pan so vacuum idea is impossible.

------updated-------------------

I see the answer was no and you guys were already on this line of thought. Sorry to be so presumptuous fellas.

Perhaps it had happened years ago, got fixed with a new pan gasket and was sitting in there but somehow not causing problems when it was a daily runner ?? and after setting for so long ....

IDK

Or like has been suggested some unwitting dumbass put the valley pan insulation package under the valley pan years ago. From the pics the valley pan is old and had some paint on it where no paint, rust .. so it wasn't a recent, or even recent when it was running, replacement.

That pics I saw when going back to the beginning remind me of my situation with the rag. It was ripped to pieces and bits were wrapped around the cam, stuck in lifter bores etc. We pulled the oil pump, checked it out (don't recall if the rag got in there). We picked it all out and luckily and miraculously had oil pressure again.

post was updated after I initially commented guys. Again my apologies. I'll pipe down

LOL "Dave's not here man" that's a great line brother.

Sorry guys. If the crankcase ventilation system is closed off the suction could lead to a crack in the light weight metal valley pan gasket. If that insulation package, which was in a closed flat tin foil bag, was there and laying on the crack it could have got sucked into the engine and dispersed throughout. I had such a crack develop when I was a kid. Oil started getting up out of the valley area and onto the valley pan making a real mess. I hadn't recognized what caused the crack and put a rag there for a short term measure (no insulationg package present on that engine) until I had a new valley pan gasket to replace it with and when i drove the car the next day ... it sucked the rag right into the lifter valley and chewed the rag to pieces and it was stuck everywhere. But we caught it quickly when the oil pressure suddenly died, diagnosed the problem and took the top end apart and picked the bits of rag out of the lifter bores etc.

I corrected the crankcase vent problem, put a new valley pan gasket on and no more problems.

IDK

Wow, I never thought about that, but that does make sense. I will have to do a closer inspection to the pan, which i plan on replacing anyhoo. I have run across some crazy stuff on the teardown. The crank pulley only had 2 bolts holding it on, the oil pump had a stripped bolt, under the timing cover looked like it had never seen a drop of oil, nice and clean like it was just put on. But the chain had quite a bit of play. (going with a roller). Going today to talk to my machine shop. Hopefully he can get the block and heads in this week.

A rag or the valley insulation can get sucked in through a hole or a crack in the valley pan. Luckily you caught that rag in time.

But if the seal was broken in just one spot it may have been pulled in. if someone reinstalled the insulation under the pan it would have more in there than that

But if the seal was broken in just one spot it may have been pulled in. if someone reinstalled the insulation under the pan it would have more in there than that

Between the lifter valley and the oil pan it looked liked the whole insulation pad was in the engine. The insulation compresses quite a bit after being soaked in oil. Just my .02

Probably not. No way to tell for sure at this point. I don't use the insulation on mine.

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

Wow, I never thought about that, but that does make sense. I will have to do a closer inspection to the pan, which i plan on replacing anyhoo. I have run across some crazy stuff on the teardown. The crank pulley only had 2 bolts holding it on, the oil pump had a stripped bolt, under the timing cover looked like it had never seen a drop of oil, nice and clean like it was just put on. But the chain had quite a bit of play. (going with a roller). Going today to talk to my machine shop. Hopefully he can get the block and heads in this week.

Somebody did some pretty shoddy work on that engine. A complete rebuild will save it for sure.

Back