Power Steering Pump Snap Ring

Furyus67

Reaction score
Since I tend to take more things apart then I put back together, today I planned to take my reservoir off and replace the big main O-ring/seal. I also wanted to get a better look at the filler neck because I believe my reservoir leaks where the filler neck comes together with the reservoir body.

Inside I found a surprise.

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg

The snap ring is pinched. Now, I wonder how long it’s been like that.

I haven’t driven my car since 2015, but I don’t remember any power steering issues. The pump and the steering box always leaked, but nothing functional that I remember.

On the other side the snap ring is in its correct seat.

IMG_5989.jpeg

While I’m here, can someone confirm is this is a TRW pump?

IMG_5983.jpeg
IMG_5981.jpeg
IMG_5969.jpeg

Update:

Received the rebuild kit from RockAuto today (Edelmann 7899) so I started the tear down.

I’m a little worried about the end of the flow control valve where the circlip was jammed. The tip of the valve that was jammed is a little chewed up. Also, in the groove where the circlip sits is a little chipped. Might have to zoom in these pictures.

IMG_6089.jpeg
IMG_6085.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg

My worry is that the end might create burrs while sliding back and fourth. How much does the valve actually move. Is it something I should worry about?

As I got deeper into the pump, once I got to the needle bearings I noticed 1 of the needles was missing. Kind of makes me think this pump has been apart before. I wasn’t going to replace the bearing if I could get away with it, but now I’ll have to. I know it will need to be pressed out, but I can’t picture how it would be pressed out. One said of the bearing is open, but the backside is blocked off. Can someone provide guidance please.

IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6083.jpeg
438802307_10168491130285608_7980999915184120801_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back