Temp gauge in Newport ?

luigi164

Reaction score
In my 1971 Newport there's only a light for the temp of the watertemperatur, cold or hot. Has anyone tried putting in a tempgauge so you can realy see the temperatur ?

Luigi

attachment.php

Hard to see, but I drilled and tapped the 1/8 port with a 3/8 npt. I don't think it will work if you have a/c.

Unless it's important to you, if you replace the sending unit on your pump with an after-market one, that temp light will no longer work.

I would like to know a way to add on an under-dash gauge and keep the factory light as well? I have always liked those lights going back to the '65 Newport my parents bought new. I love the "COLD" light on a dark night. I know, weird, but it's true.

Unless it's important to you, if you replace the sending unit on your pump with an after-market one, that temp light will no longer work.

I would like to know a way to add on an under-dash gauge and keep the factory light as well? I have always liked those lights going back to the '65 Newport my parents bought new. I love the "COLD" light on a dark night. I know, weird, but it's true.

Yes, that's what I mean also. Is it possible to use the sensor also for the gauge at the same time? Parrallel ?

Luigi

This is what I did on my 70 300.

I installed the sender for my electric temperature gauge here.

There's a plug next to the heater hose. You just have to remove it and it's a standard pipe thread.

The sender for the hot/cold lights stays right were it is.

The gauges are Autometer. One of their inexpensive Autogage line. All are electric making the hookups easier than mechanical gauges.

They were mounted under the dash, just left of the opening for the steering column.

A better pic when the dash was out of the car.

Thanks for the pics of the sender locations.

Does your left leg ever hit those gauges? Also, are they not hard to see in that location? That's a problem with our dash; it's so low that under-dash gauges are really low. I have water temp and oil pressure gauges; my idea is to mount them on the empty plate next to the radio. Yes, I would "destroy" that area of the dash but they would be in a great location, in my opinion.

My leg doesn't hit them and I'm 6'2".

It's not exactly in the line of sight, but it's still easy to see. Since the hot/cold and oil pressure lights along with the ammeter are still functional, I regard those gauges as backup to the warning lights.

Back