Welcome, Hezzelwood

Hello all,

I've been the owner of a 1965 Chrysler 300 Sport since about 1998. When I bought it I had the luxury of a mechanic in the Salt Lake area who was an absolute Master of Mopar. Unfortunately for me, he left to take a position at the Harrah Collection in Reno if I remember correctly. I would imagine that he is a known figure here on this forum. I can't recall his name at the moment--I've had two real good brain injuries since then (luckily I quit motorcycle racing while I can still walk).

When I found the 300 it was pretty covered in surface rust and the 383 was totally worn out. So with the help of this mechanic we sourced a sweet '67 440 from a demo-derby guy out of a Coronet Wagon that he massacred, stripped and painted the 300's engine bay and body, and put together a very nice Sunday driver that could light them up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

It was my main summer driver for about a decade in Salt Lake City. Various upgrades like a tighter ratio steering box and all new suspension rubber made it a very fun car--until my ego got the best of me. One day and some jamoak in a monster truck barreled down on me on the highway, trying to force me out of his way, so I punched it and showed him what for. It was very satisfying to see the look on his face as I watched him fall behind. But later that day I started overheating, and long story short, turns out I was missing a windage tray in the oil pan, and my little speed exhibition had starved the #1 bearing and it was spun.

So not having the free cash to fund a proper rebuild, I sold that engine off and picked up a clean '71 440 and swapped it in. Not the same snap, but maybe a more age appropriate driving style by this point.

So to my current situation. It's been sitting for a couple years up at my mom's place, but when I connected the battery it fired right up and ran smooth as silk. I let it idle up to temperature for about 20 minutes and everything felt great. But when I shifted into reverse, it immediately started a very pronounced shudder. I shifted back into part right away, but the shudder remains. It's parked on gravel and sits quite low, so I can't tell if there has been any leakage.

I haven't done anything yet--I don't want to make things worse, so I'm here asking what might be the best way to proceed from here.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Darren

Hello all,

I've been the owner of a 1965 Chrysler 300 Sport since about 1998. When I bought it I had the luxury of a mechanic in the Salt Lake area who was an absolute Master of Mopar. Unfortunately for me, he left to take a position at the Harrah Collection in Reno if I remember correctly. I would imagine that he is a known figure here on this forum. I can't recall his name at the moment--I've had two real good brain injuries since then (luckily I quit motorcycle racing while I can still walk).

When I found the 300 it was pretty covered in surface rust and the 383 was totally worn out. So with the help of this mechanic we sourced a sweet '67 440 from a demo-derby guy out of a Coronet Wagon that he massacred, stripped and painted the 300's engine bay and body, and put together a very nice Sunday driver that could light them up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

It was my main summer driver for about a decade in Salt Lake City. Various upgrades like a tighter ratio steering box and all new suspension rubber made it a very fun car--until my ego got the best of me. One day and some jamoak in a monster truck barreled down on me on the highway, trying to force me out of his way, so I punched it and showed him what for. It was very satisfying to see the look on his face as I watched him fall behind. But later that day I started overheating, and long story short, turns out I was missing a windage tray in the oil pan, and my little speed exhibition had starved the #1 bearing and it was spun.

So not having the free cash to fund a proper rebuild, I sold that engine off and picked up a clean '71 440 and swapped it in. Not the same snap, but maybe a more age appropriate driving style by this point.

So to my current situation. It's been sitting for a couple years up at my mom's place, but when I connected the battery it fired right up and ran smooth as silk. I let it idle up to temperature for about 20 minutes and everything felt great. But when I shifted into reverse, it immediately started a very pronounced shudder. I shifted back into part right away, but the shudder remains. It's parked on gravel and sits quite low, so I can't tell if there has been any leakage.

I haven't done anything yet--I don't want to make things worse, so I'm here asking what might be the best way to proceed from here.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Darren
Trans oil level should be checked in Neutral, not park because of oil flow to the torque converter. I'd fire it up again in Neutral and check oil level when it's warmed up. Top off as needed. If it's still shuddering going into reverse, I'd think about a reputable trans shop (not Aamco)

Back