What are you working on today??

Roofing of the existing house is nearing completion.
They had to replace all of the sheathing on the existing roof. It’s now square and looking great!

View attachment 671059
View attachment 671060View attachment 671058View attachment 671057
Shingles are all installed. Roof ridge caps and soffits need to be installed, but it looks fantastic and happy we are!

IMG_1445.jpeg
IMG_1447.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg

Just made this neat little dining table.:usflag:
IMG_8032.jpeg
IMG_8033.jpeg
IMG_8034.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg

IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_8997.jpeg
IMG_9004.jpeg
IMG_9020.jpeg
IMG_9021.jpeg
Finished my Pergola that has been in the planning stage for over a year when I decided where to put the support pillars.
Rough sawn Cedar 6x6’s. Went together pretty quickly with the help of a couple of friends.

Since I had an unusual shape and positioning of the posts I had to draw it up and get the lumber. I did use these guy's site and hardware to draw up some plans that slightly resembled what I wanted, so I could get an idea of proper rafter spacing and such. They I modified the post layouts and some of the hardware due to the layout.
I have always liked the look of this type of hardware. It seemed the hardware was about 1/4 of total expense, but the use of the hardware did save me a lot of time and made it simpler to assemble and hold things in place until secured. And dammit I like the look. I am actually going to rebuild my mailbox post utilizing a leftover bracket, through bolts, and lumber.
Also I initially thought I would want / need 45 degree bracing from the posts to the upper frame but with the amount of posts and the large through bolts it is rock solid. (Even when I was on top installing the purloins, I tried to rock it back and forth with probably less than a 1/4" of movement.
Overall span is 10' x 23'. The partial shading is tremendous also helps keep the heat out of the house by shading my patio door and large windows.

This is where I got a similar plan and then customized the build list for my post settings.
I think both Menards and Lowes sells this hardware or something similar
OZCO Building Products - Greater Projects Start Here

Since I had an unusual shape and positioning of the posts I had to draw it up and get the lumber. I did use these guy's site and hardware to draw up some plans that slightly resembled what I wanted, so I could get an idea of proper rafter spacing and such. They I modified the post layouts and some of the hardware due to the layout.
I have always liked the look of this type of hardware. It seemed the hardware was about 1/4 of total expense, but the use of the hardware did save me a lot of time and made it simpler to assemble and hold things in place until secured. And dammit I like the look. I am actually going to rebuild my mailbox post utilizing a leftover bracket, through bolts, and lumber.
Also I initially thought I would want / need 45 degree bracing from the posts to the upper frame but with the amount of posts and the large through bolts it is rock solid. (Even when I was on top installing the purloins, I tried to rock it back and forth with probably less than a 1/4" of movement.
Overall span is 10' x 23'. The partial shading is tremendous also helps keep the heat out of the house by shading my patio door and large windows.

This is where I got a similar plan and then customized the build list for my post settings.
You are going to be busier in retirement than you are being employed!

I'd love to do something similar with a patio and a grilling setup, maybe even a hot tub. Someday.

I don’t think I have a second career selling plans.

Modeled off plans for a 12x16 pergola, post placement and a few scribbles. Although the list part of the Menards app was quite handy. As I was figuring lengths I could add the actual materials to my list, buy online and go pick them up without going into the main store, just the yard.

Fancy plans for the Idea to my hand drawn scribbles to the end product. Plus my mail box plans.
IMG_9022.jpeg
IMG_9023.jpeg
IMG_9025.jpeg
IMG_9026.jpeg

I don’t think I have a second career selling plans.

Modeled off plans for a 12x16 pergola, post placement and a few scribbles. Although the list part of the Menards app was quite handy. As I was figuring lengths I could add the actual materials to my list, buy online and go pick them up without going into the main store, just the yard.

Fancy plans for the Idea to my hand drawn scribbles to the end product. Plus my mail box plans. View attachment 673418View attachment 673419View attachment 673420View attachment 673421

Does the Menards app play their jingle every time it's opened/closed? haha....

Nice work. Looks great.

As some of you may know, I am learning about my family history.
Yesterday, my wife, mother in law and I visited the Mapleton, Iowa history museum.
What a gem!
We found information on my wife and mother in law and I asked about my great aunt and uncle, who lived in Mapleton for a time.

Lo and behold, I scored two nuggets.
These are images of the Mapleton Press, where my great uncle worked, with their marriage and the birth of my uncle.

The organ is a Montgomery Wards unit.

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1718.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg

part of our remodel effort is to install a microwave oven adjacent to the oven . Our existing microwave is a range hood model that’s white. Both my wife and I don’t care for it, so we bought a stainless LG model and I ordered a trim kit for it. I had to widen the opening a bit and put in a shelf with a cross facia. These cabinets are made from walnut and the wood is beautiful. I found a stain that matched and bought 2-6’ 1x2”s and 6-1”x12”x24” pieces. Rather than rip the entire fascia off to install dowels, I installed the cross board with brass L brackets from the back side.

We’re having a new KitchenAid range hood put in that’s stainless as well. It only occupies about 2-1/2” of face height, dramatically increasing the height of the area between the hood and cooktop.
The new range hood will likely be installed in the next week or two.

I got the microwave installed and still have to shorten the cabinet doors.

We also purchased a Bosch stainless dishwasher and it is so quiet that we can’t hear it running, unless the thing is pumping water out .

Before:

IMG_1063.jpeg

After:

IMG_1770.jpeg

Dishwasher:

IMG_1772.jpeg

Last edited:
Moved the stub frame out of the shed and to the garage on the rain. Built a simple dolly and rolled in front of the Fury. Frame is now on jacks to prevent flat spot on tires and to give it some space off the wet ground until it goes on the Fury. It was fun.

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1718.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

Back