1959 DeSoto 4-door _ Oak Park MI

GregG48203

Reaction score
Not Mine:
1959 Desoto Firedome
1959 Desoto Firedome - $15000 (Oak Park)
Removable hardtop, original 383, pushbutton automatic
59DeSot1.jpg

59DeSot2.jpg

59DeSot3.jpg

59DeSot4.jpg

So my obvious question would be: did Chrysler actually offer a removable hardtop on Forward Looks?

The question is, is my curiosity about how it works strong enough for me to take the 20 minute drive for a closer Look?

The question is, is my curiosity about how it works strong enough for me to take the 20 minute drive for a closer Look?
It works like this: Every time you want to remove or install the top it's going to take three buddies and a 12 pack.

I’m mainly curious about the mechanics.

Believe me when I say that I wish I had the time to go look at cars that I have no intention of buying...

I would have said these photos are simply before/after shots. It's very hard for me to believe the average Joe (or Sol, given the Oak Park location) could achieve that level of fit/finish. However, looking at the pics up close you can see a definite parting line. That rear window better be plastic, or it's not long for the world.

IMG_20180619_121233.png

IMG_20180619_121208.png

No. Aftermarket conversion. I'll bet that thing has a bit of cowl shake too.....

Probably not. At least no more than a contemporary Imperial (which didn't have any). It isn't a unibody and hdtps of the pre-computer era likely had a bunch of extra frame reinforcement.

I'm not advising people to do this to their Forward-Look cars, but I'll bet it's better than you'd expect.

I like that just fine.
Just need a rope/pulley lift in the garage to raise the top, like the T-Bird guys used to use.
Never use the roof in summer anyway.
:lol:

Back