1959 Dodge - transmission parking brake drum removal - need guidance

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm finishing up restoring the engine on my 1959 Dodge Coronet. Before I drop the engine in the car I need to fix the drum style parking brake on the back of the Powerflight transmission. The reason is that it does not have really any travel when pulling the parking brake handle and it is almost impossible to rotate the driveshaft when the car is on jacks as the parking brake seems to drag so much. I removed the driveshaft, then removed the larger bolt and washer that appear to hold the drum to the end of the transmission. I assumed the drum would slide off the brake shoes but it did not. No amount of wiggling would get it too budge. I ended up using a puller and the drum hub slide about 3/4" off. I could see splines inside the drum housing but it did not come off. I did lose a bunch of
transmission fluid so I'm assume this set up also seals the tail shaft?

My question is, before I proceed any further, should the drum just slide off? Are the drum shoes hanging up and that is the issue? For the fluid leak, I'm assuming I will need to change a rear output seal once everything is off?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I looked at the FSM but was not clear on the process. I tried loosening the cable that goes into the drum. I also removed the access cover on the drum and can see there is movement in the cable. Is there a specific procedure to loosen the brake shoes? Thanks!

The cable mount to the brake does nothing. Look at the manual again, there is an adjustment screw in there that needs rotated.

I believe there is a barrel-shaped adjuster inside with small grooves like more modern drum brake adjusters.

IIRC, there is an opening to adjust them on the front side "backing plate".

I believe the cable adjustment is for adjusting the the amount the parking brake handle pulls out.

Went back and felt around inside the parking assembly. You were right, there is a parking brake wheel adjuster in there. Was able to tap the drum back on easily and then adjust the adjuster. Drum slide right off!!

I'm assuming the fluid leaked out similar to a yoke being pulled out of the rear of the transmission....causes the fluid to leak out? I also had jacked up the front of the transmission to get more clearance so the rear was definitely at a downward angle.

What trans do you have a cast iron torqurflite or a 2 speed powerflite?

On a 1961 cast iron TF the seal rides on the output shaft. On a 1962 727 the seal rides on the inside of the park brake drum.

Look at the drum. On the inside where the splines shaft goes through. On the outside of that is there a Smooth machined place for a seal to ride on the drum?

Back