1959 Plymouth 230 Inline Six

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been approached to overhaul a 1959 230 six. The engine is stuck so besides the usual crankshaft turning undersize and piston replacement, ( I expect the cylinder condition to be very poor), oil pump replacement, Where can I get quality parts from. This would be my first flat head six overhaul. High quality is my goal

Andy Bernbaum
Roberts Motor parts
Terrill Machine -somewhere in Texas
Napa
Rock Auto
Hemmings

I have been approached to overhaul a 1959 230 six. The engine is stuck so besides the usual crankshaft turning undersize and piston replacement, ( I expect the cylinder condition to be very poor), oil pump replacement, Where can I get quality parts from. This would be my first flat head six overhaul. High quality is my goal
I did an earlier one. They are pretty neat engines with full floating pistons and hardened valve seats.

As said the Vintage Power Wagons site has a lot for these. I bought a NOS cam there. Lifters were a problem but my local shop refaced the old ones for me.

I also have a starter that I had rebuilt and converted to 12 volts for a flathead that I will make a smoking deal on... Even bring it to Carlisle to save shipping if you want.

1717332983157.png

Get a hold of MobileParts here.
Northwestern Auto Parts , which was a outstanding and huge auto parts store for old parts in Michigan went out of business and he bought some of the inventory but may not have been flathead Mopar stuff but he might know who did buy the flathead Mopar parts.

Also make sure to replace the water distribution tube no matter how hard the old one is to remove.
Don't be surprised if you have to remove the old one in pieces.

Back