1963 Imperial Exhaust - Paint

RKC

Reaction score
The new exhaust system is aluminized. I am using standard clamps instead of welds. The car will be stored in an unheated building with a gravel floor. The car will not be driven in bad weather, winter, etc. Questions: Should I paint the muffler and pipes even though they are aluminized? If so, what kind of paint? Thanks!

If it were mine, I would sprak the pipes down with brake cleaner spray, let it flash off, dry, and then spray it with high-heat silver/aluminum paint. Let that dry and mist another coat on top of it. Then let it cure for a few days in a hot garage before installing. The exhaust heat will further cure it, I suspect.

"Aluminized" just means it is more resistant to normal steel rust, not that it will not rust at all.

If you might want it to be more incognito, use satiny high-heat black rather than silver/aluminum.

Eastwood used to have a paintable paint for exhaust manifolds, called "Kalyx" or similar. Had to apply it like a paint with a paint brush. Might work on pipes, too, but the spray will be quicker to do, if not better in the long run.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back