1965 Chrysler Newport taillight assembly

Boyd

Reaction score
My bulbs are corroded into the sockets. I cannot find a number on the sockets. Their are 2 single filament and 1 double filament. The part number does not seem to be in my owner's manual. Does anyone have a number for these sockets and where can I get them. Since they are taillights/brake/turn signals, I would like to replace them with NOS.

I would soak the it bulb and socket in some Evapo-rust for a day or so. Since the socet is part of the harness I'm not sure you'll find NOS. To get sockets that would fit correctly I'd try Evans Wiring out of Erie, PA. It looks like Bill Evans is going to be at Carlisle this weekend; J8-11.

I would soak the it bulb and socket in some Evapo-rust for a day or so. Since the socet is part of the harness I'm not sure you'll find NOS. To get sockets that would fit correctly I'd try Evans Wiring out of Erie, PA. It looks like Bill Evans is going to be at Carlisle this weekend; J8-11.
Tried some penetrating oil. Will soak it tomorrow.

Here's what you do.

Go ahead and break the bulbs, then grab the base with a pair of needle nose pliers and push/pull/twist and they'll come out. The sockets probably won't be that bad once the bulb is out.

Once out, get a bulb socket brush and clean it up. A brush for soldering copper pipe might work too..

1689097691860.png

As far a bulbs, they should be listed in the owners manual and are in the back of the factory service manual. Single element = 1056, Double element = 1057. Replaced by 1156 and 1157, respectively. Should be no issues with availability as they were common up until about the earlier 1990s on all vehicles.

To remove, gengly push down on the bulb, against the spring in the bulb socket, then turn. reverse to install.

CBODY67

As far a bulbs, they should be listed in the owners manual and are in the back of the factory service manual. Single element = 1056, Double element = 1057. Replaced by 1156 and 1157, respectively. Should be no issues with availability as they were common up until about the earlier 1990s on all vehicles.

To remove, gengly push down on the bulb, against the spring in the bulb socket, then turn. reverse to install.

CBODY67
The housing around the taillights was cracked, leaked water into the housing and thus the bulb was corroded into the socket. Bought a new socket and it was not bright enough. Working on another plan. Thank you.

The housing around the taillights was cracked, leaked water into the housing and thus the bulb was corroded into the socket. Bought a new socket and it was not bright enough. Working on another plan. Thank you.
Everyone's suggestions above are spot on. Look in a owners manual, factory service manual or even a Classic Industries catalog for the correct bulb numbers. 1157 is a common number for parking lights and brake light combination.

I have read the shop manuel and I have the right bulbs. Your assumptions sure show your ignorance.

Back