1965 Fury I police car

Mocop

Reaction score
Hello all,
I picked up a former San Jose Police unmarked detective car that has been parked for some time - it is complete and untouched, but has some parts that need replacing - looking for a passenger side floor and trunk, both of them are Swiss cheese from sitting outside since the late 70’s - any help is appreciated !

IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6827.jpeg

I MIGHT be wrong, but I THINK I see the "Commando V-8" emblem on the front fender. Cop cars usually had a larger V-8, maybe the 383 or 413? Cop cars are usually 4-door sedans, maybe the detectives had 2-door sedans...... neat find, though.

Good eye, it does have the 383 Commando in it, along with the Leece Neville alternator which is massive - a friend told me officers could run street traffic signals with the car when the power was down

Great, How did you find it and is the alternator the big cylinder by the carb? What's your thoughts on the rubber floor and what's under it ?

Great, How did you find it and is the alternator the big cylinder by the carb? What's your thoughts on the rubber floor and what's under it ?
Long story short I knew a guy who knew the guy who originally purchased it at auction from the city of San Jose in 76’ - put it in storage and there it sat because he planned to restore it at some point. Unfortunately he passed away before he could do that, and the family was nice enough to reach out to me and as long as I restored it and didn’t part it out they let my purchase it. Rubber floor mats are almost perfect, a few tears and unfortunately a few pieces are cracked and crumbling I will try to save them, I know how hard they are to come by. Finally that giant thing next to the carb is the alternator, it is a beast and puts out a lot of voltage (apparently there is a spot in the car where a house outlet was put in to run street lights and emergency lights)

full restoration or driver? My comment about the rubber floors, normally the floor pans rust terrible under the rubber. I see another police car in the backround, you must have experience?

Both, plan on restoring back to original and make daily driver - so floors are really good in the back, driver side a little rusty but salvegable; front passenger side is shot, I will have to replace, going to have to find a donor floor - rubber definitely held a lot of moisture and water there

Biggest alternator I have ever seen - that will make an interesting project....... you see restored police cruisers from time to time, but not an "unmarked" detective car....... -

So there's nothing between the seats. No console, not even arm rests. How common is that on any slab?

The steering wheel wrap tells me the car must have been driven at some point - in the 1980's or 90's?

No remnants of police radio, mounting hardware, antenna? Pillar-mounted spot light? Or was a detective's car supposed to incognito?

Please post the fender tag.

Nada in interior, only thing is holes under dash for police radio and speaker - according to old time coppers it had a single red spotlight that was used to do car stops, plugged into spot on dash with a headphone-type connector - no spots, or other holes drilled anywhere

My dad picked up a 67 Fury III 2dr sedan Alabama State Police "interceptor" 30 plus years ago. 440 Commando, 15"wheels, disc brakes, 2.93:1 axle, bench seat. Slow off the line but once rolling , oh boy! No idea where that one ended up.

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen bucket seats in a full size that was not a hardtop or convertible(?!) any reason to think those front seats are not factory to the car?

Steve weim55 Colorado

Definitely factory, common build option for SJPD - they did a lot of one off stuff in the 60’s and 70’s

Back