1965 Imperial - Auto-Pilot Linkage part and More...

well, in pealing this onion it's gotten a little stinkier. I was testing the control cable w/ the dial control up front. I noticed that it would turn and turn in any direction and not hit a stopping point. In the service manual it says that it should have a stopping point ...this is how you properly set the control cable. Long story short I pulled out the switch control from in the car, and found the small plastic sprocket was broken and in pieces. It is suppose to turn when I turn with the control/selector and then it turns or moves the larger half sprocket that then moves the control cable in or out at the AP. I found the broken piece on the small sprocket and super glued it.
But I have no confidence in that plastic piece holding together to be able to move the larger half sprocket ...which does take some decent pressure to move it. Is their a current replacement sprocket that can work ...maybe one made of metal? If not is there a new plastic one available? Look at the pics to see details: It's a 16 teeth sprocket and the inner diameter appears to have some grooves. Which it does sit around a grooved section on the stem of the AP control ( you see that in the pics ) so that may be right, that the inner diameter needs to be grooved so that it can grab hold of, and turn with the stem.
Anyway, please send me some ideas of how to replace this sprocket.

IMG_1400[1].JPG
IMG_1401[1].JPG
IMG_1403[1].JPGIMG_1402[1].JPG

Back