Status
Not open for further replies.

Kp1226

Reaction score
Contact seller
Was there an Indy Pace Edition ?
indy.PNG

1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

As was the practice, there were several made that year that all shared the same color combination (white with blue interior) and which all had the lettering applied. They probably all didn't get the same engines (some may have been 383 4 bbl, some may have been 383 2 bbl, and some may have been 318 polys), and after the event they would have been dispersed among the dealers in the area to be sold. Most were only used for the parades. In this picture, notice the handles mounted on top of the rear quarter panels next to the top boot. I have only ever seen one 65 Indy Pace Car 65 Sport Fury with these handles (years ago at the Mopar Nats). I am assuming they were attached to only the cars that would have had someone sitting on the folded convertible boot at speeds faster than cars used in the parade would have seen. I wonder how many of the Indy Pace Car Furys had these handles. Would it have only been the car that actually paced the race?

There were 'civilian' pace car replicas sold, white with blue interior, and I think they had an engraved badge near the glovebox, or maybe that was just the 50 official cars built for use in/around the racetrack.

This blue car has the small unsilenced aircleaner, which suggests a 4-barrel 383, and my meanderings have seen the Pacers to have 383-2 most times, with a large single-snorkel aircleaner. The poor pictures show the pass-side door & fender have 66 trim on them. Underhood paint is blue, so either a thorough repaint years ago, or is not an official plaque on the dash - or this is something new.

Regardless, it is way overpriced for the work it needs, that looks like a $3000 car to me, maybe less if it's really rusty.

As was the practice, there were several made that year that all shared the same color combination (white with blue interior) and which all had the lettering applied. They probably all didn't get the same engines (some may have been 383 4 bbl, some may have been 383 2 bbl, and some may have been 318 polys), and after the event they would have been dispersed among the dealers in the area to be sold. Most were only used for the parades. In this picture, notice the handles mounted on top of the rear quarter panels next to the top boot. I have only ever seen one 65 Indy Pace Car 65 Sport Fury with these handles (years ago at the Mopar Nats). I am assuming they were attached to only the cars that would have had someone sitting on the folded convertible boot at speeds faster than cars used in the parade would have seen. I wonder how many of the Indy Pace Car Furys had these handles. Would it have only been the car that actually paced the race?
I'd bet that there were a handful all dolled up with handles and flagholders for pace duty, just in case something happened to the designated pacer. The pacer(s) used a 426 Wedge. I suspect there were more cars laying around with the lettering (just for visibility), and those may have had lesser engines. All of the ones I've ever seen for sale had no lettering and no visible signs of it. Although I saw a magazine article years ago of a guy that bought one and upon sanding it for paint he came upon ghosts of lettering - at that point a resto takes on a whole new meaning!

The pace car editions that were sold through the dealers came with the lettering uninstalled and it was the buyers option to have it installed at the time of delivery.

Let's play a fun little game.
How many differences can you spot between the 2 vintage pictures above?
I count 6, but there may be more.

I'll name what I see..
1. Quarter panel lettering
2. Door lettering
3.Wheel covers
4. Left front antenna
5. Convertible boot color
I think the body side trim looks different just because of the lighting.

Others?

Whats with the second set of rear bumper guards? They look like handles.

Looks like we got everything, although my #6 the B&W picture shows the parade grabhandles.
I'm not sure how you can tell the boot colors are different between B&W and color photos, Loveshack. :p
As for the emblem difference, in my experience 383-2 or bigger got the Commando emblem, Poly got the plain emblem. So is the car in the color photo a Poly car???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back