1966 Chryser 300 fender tag

TNT440

Reaction score
Having trouble understanding the fender tag on my 66 300. When I decoded, it indicates both bucket seats and bench seat. It also says it has a console. The car has buckets and console. The reason I am checking is because I removed the steering column and ti is scratched in a few places and looks to be blue under the black. There was no obvious indication that the steering column had been removed before, but who knows.
Screenshot_20240904_145111_Photos.jpg
20230701_192726.jpg

You can find a decode template for the data plate in the "INFO" front section of the Chrysler Parts Manual. Free download at www.mymopar.com . As to option and trim codes, the Order Guides and Color and Trim Guides in the "Library" section of www.hamtramck-historical.com website.

Take care,
CBODY67

You can find a decode template for the data plate in the "INFO" front section of the Chrysler Parts Manual. Free download at www.mymopar.com . As to option and trim codes, the Order Guides and Color and Trim Guides in the "Library" section of www.hamtramck-historical.com website.

Take care,
CBODY67
There doesn't look like there is an option code breakdown in the parts manual, and I can't get into the hamtrack site.

The parts book has the correct template to use. www.hamtramck-historical.com , you might need to put it in manually as sometimes the links that should work, on my laptop, sometimes don't.

By observation, most of the data plate decode websites are more orineted toward B-body cars, rather than C-body cars. FWIW

CBODY67

The parts book has the correct template to use. www.hamtramck-historical.com , you might need to put it in manually as sometimes the links that should work, on my laptop, sometimes don't.

By observation, most of the data plate decode websites are more orineted toward B-body cars, rather than C-body cars. FWIW

CBODY67
I got in. Can't see anything pre-1970, and there appears to be a fee. I thought for sure someone on this forum would be an expert at 1966 Chrysler fender tag decoding.

No fee to get into the Library. Once in and on the "spreadsheet" page, click the model year range to get to where you want to be.

20230701_192726.jpg

a6 = console
b5 = bucket seat
f6 = ?
g6 = ?
h7 = ?
p6 = ?
u1 = sold car
AB 62 = engine, prob. 383 4-bbl?
C5 = auto trans
K8 = ?
Q9 = red metallic upper door frame paint?
R2 = (radio with rear speaker?)
Y6 =

A16 = SPD 10/16/66
13157 = SO#

BDY = CM23 = Chrysler 300 hard top
TRM = M4X = black
PAINT = XX1 = Desert Beige

@ascari has a CH43 ('66 New Yorker) with 667 (fgh) and p6 maybe he knows what those are?

See also

I don't see where the axle is coded, or the tires ?

@TNT440 change the subject of this thread to "1966 Chrysler 300 fender tag" if you can (for future reference)

Last edited:
Having trouble understanding the fender tag on my 66 300. When I decoded, it indicates both bucket seats and bench seat. It also says it has a console. The car has buckets and console. The reason I am checking is because I removed the steering column and ti is scratched in a few places and looks to be blue under the black. There was no obvious indication that the steering column had been removed before, but who knows.View attachment 680393View attachment 680391
The problem is a lot of those online fender tag decoders have either flaws or are aimed at a particular model, so it all has to be taken with a grain of salt. Just the way it is.

The M4X is a black interior. Since it's a 300, it's safe to assume that the standard interior is buckets. The blue paint under the black can be explained a few ways. It could have been replaced, or it could have even been painted blue when built, but they needed more black columns and it was repainted black.

The problem is a lot of those online fender tag decoders have either flaws or are aimed at a particular model, so it all has to be taken with a grain of salt. Just the way it is.

The M4X is a black interior. Since it's a 300, it's safe to assume that the standard interior is buckets. The blue paint under the black can be explained a few ways. It could have been replaced, or it could have even been painted blue when built, but they needed more black columns and it was repainted black.
Yeah, I was thinking it could have been repainted at the factory. Although the screws that hold the collar where the column shifter would have been are loose. So maybe it has been replaced. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Having trouble understanding the fender tag on my 66 300. When I decoded, it indicates both bucket seats and bench seat. It also says it has a console. The car has buckets and console. The reason I am checking is because I removed the steering column and ti is scratched in a few places and looks to be blue under the black. There was no obvious indication that the steering column had been removed before, but who knows.View attachment 680393View attachment 680391
Thank you for posting the pix. I am in the process of adding 1966 Order Code-Fender Tag relationships into my Excel-based 1960-1966 DeSoto-Chrysler-Imperial decoder and your pix and the comments it is drawing are (mostly) helpful. I could use more pix of 1966 fender tags and accompanying VIN tags to develop and test my decoder. The decoder you used is for '66-'67 Dodge Chargers and seems to work quite well for Chargers and other MoPars but has a lot of either-or results for options not common on the Chargers. Using info from the Charger decoder and other sources, I humbly submit this decoding of your fender tag--and a picture of a 1965 decoder report. When developed to a point satisfactory to me, I will post the decoder online at no charge. All assistance and support is greatly appreciated.
a-6-496-Console
b-5-565-Rear seat armrest & ash tray
f-6-426-Rear Speaker
g-6-546-Bumper Reveal Molding (Perhaps the little SS molding that wraps around each end of the front bumper)
h-7-517-Fender mounted turn signals
p-6-536-LH Rear View Mirror-Remote Control
A-6-376-383 CID Engine
B-2-382-4bbl carb
C-5-395-Torqueflite Transmission
K-8-458-Power Windows
Q-9-459-Power Vent Windows
R-2-422-Golden Tone Radio
W-6-??
A16-Scheduling component-in Date Code-October 16, 1965
13-Scheduling Component-Assembly Line Number or Area
157-Scheduling Component-Vehicle Sequential Number
CM23: Body: Chrysler, Newport,2-Door Hardtop
M4X: Trim grade, material, color: Medium-Vinyl-Black
XX1: Roof color, Lower Body Color & Styling: Beige, Beige, Monochromatic

I know. Needs work. Input relished.

65 300L Example 8-6-24 (2).jpg

@Torky I don't think it's W6, it looks more to me like Y6.

Did they not code axle, tires and window tint on the '66 tags?
I agree that the 6 is under the Y, but I still can't decode it. I don't see any other Order Code ending in 6. Chassis items such as tires, wheels, axle ratio, Sure Grip, HD components are not embossed on the '66 or most earlier year Body Data Plates/Fender Tags. Tinted glass (all:1 or windshield only:2) May be coded under the X or Z Possibly codes 521 or 522.

Thank you for posting the pix. I am in the process of adding 1966 Order Code-Fender Tag relationships into my Excel-based 1960-1966 DeSoto-Chrysler-Imperial decoder and your pix and the comments it is drawing are (mostly) helpful. I could use more pix of 1966 fender tags and accompanying VIN tags to develop and test my decoder. The decoder you used is for '66-'67 Dodge Chargers and seems to work quite well for Chargers and other MoPars but has a lot of either-or results for options not common on the Chargers. Using info from the Charger decoder and other sources, I humbly submit this decoding of your fender tag--and a picture of a 1965 decoder report. When developed to a point satisfactory to me, I will post the decoder online at no charge. All assistance and support is greatly appreciated.
a-6-496-Console
f-6-426-Rear Speaker
g-6-546-Bumper Reveal Molding (Perhaps the little SS molding that wraps around each end of the front bumper)
A-6-376-383 CID Engine
B-2-382-4bbl carb
K-8-458-Power Windows
W-6-??

View attachment 680803
This is great. Does the XX1 indicate that the roof color is beige? My car has a black vinyl roof. Maybe Beige under the vinyl and the M4X refers to the roof being vinyl?

a-6-496-Console
f-6-426-Rear Speaker
A-6-376-383 CID Engine
B-2-382-4bbl carb
K-8-458-Power Windows
W-6-??

View attachment 680803
Interesting. I have f6 as being fender skirts 586, and Q9 as a power antenna 429. Y6 in my guide is a black vinyl top. Maybe the OP can see which of those options match his car.

This is great. Does the XX1 indicate that the roof color is beige? My car has a black vinyl roof. Maybe Beige under the vinyl and the M4X refers to the roof being vinyl?
Chrysler will enter roof and lower body color even if it is a convertible. So, no--WW1 means monochromatic white. The 6 under the Y may very well mean "Black Vinyl Roof". I'll do some research on that. M4X is definitely Medium Price range seat cover design & material, 4 means vinyl as compared to cloth & vinyl or leather and X means black. So, does your car have black vinyl seats?

Interesting. I have f6 as being fender skirts 586, and Q9 as a power antenna 429. Y6 in my guide is a black vinyl top. Maybe the OP can see which of those options match his car.
Could be. I really like Y^ and will query the owner regarding the two options with different sources. What is the nature/source of your guide? Willing to share or guide me if I send my best efforts guide? Could start with any other vinyl top colors that might apply to any '66 MoPar.

Chrysler will enter roof and lower body color even if it is a convertible. So, no--WW1 means monochromatic white. The 6 under the Y may very well mean "Black Vinyl Roof". I'll do some research on that. M4X is definitely Medium Price range seat cover design & material, 4 means vinyl as compared to cloth & vinyl or leather and X means black. So, does your car have black vinyl seats?
Another reader has offered some alternative decoding. Please advise if your car has one, or the other, or both, or neither of these pairs: f6: 426-Rear Seat Speaker vs 586 Fender Skirts; Q9: 429-Power Antenna vs 459 Power Vent Window. The other reader did confirm Y6 meant Black Vinyl Top. I have begun reformatting my report to accommodate the additional data on the top two lines of the '66 MoPar Body Data Plate.
@TNT440 does your car have power vent windows and / or power antenna?
Similar query sent to owner. Do you have any other insights? Y6 is seen as black vinyl top-confirmed by owner.

Back