1966 Chrysler 300 Transmission

RKC

Reaction score
I would like to change the fluid and filter in the transmission. I will need to purchase a new filter and gasket. Are there any special issues to be aware of during this process? How much transmission fluid will I need to refill the transmission? Thanks!

One issue is to realize there are two "refill" amounts. One is for a complete overhaul and one is for a "filter change". The "filter change" amount is what you want.

The job can be made a bit "cleaner" by using an electric extractor pump to pull the fluid out of the pan FIRST. Then you aren't spilling/sloshing a lot around as the front of the pan is lowered.

THEN, the "filter change" refill amount can be increased a slight bit if the converter happened to drain-back, to increase the amount of atf in the oil pan. So, might need an extra quart or so.

On a COLD transmission, aim for the "ADD" line rather than "FULL", as the fluid will expand when heated. Of course, this is with the engine running at base idle speed. After getting to this point, anything above the "ADD" line is good. Recheck after driving at least 10 miles to get the fluid up to normal temp and in all places. At this point, mid-level is better than completely "FULL".

Have fun and make sure the car is firmly on safe jack stands!

CBODY67

How much fluid it needs depends on how long you let it sit and drain. As a general rule with stock pan , approx 5-6 qts
Loosening the valve body will drain will net you maybe another qt , or 2

I like the modern steel core Mopar pan gasket as well just make sure the pan is nice and flat

Drain the torque converter also. Will get more out, which is good.

Will need a case of 12 ATF fluid, then you will have one or two extra for later.

How do you drain the torque converter?
There's a drain plug. Remove the cover on the bellhousing and you'll have to "bump" the engine over until the drain plug appears.

That said, some of the newer and replacement convertors don't have a drain plug.

How do you drain the torque converter?
This is actually a 904 but it shows the drain plug really well. Just bump the engine over until the plug is at 6:00.

TC.jpg

IMG_3267.jpeg

So the drain plug on my 727 is about 8 o'clock in this photo, if I'm understanding you. Just bump the engine until the drain plug is at 6 o'clock, then unbolt it and ATF comes out? Put the plug back in, and you add fluid through the dipstick tube once the new filter and trans pan are also installed? I've done many transmission services but never drained a converter. Just making sure it's as easy as it sounds.

View attachment 666613
So the drain plug on my 727 is about 8 o'clock in this photo, if I'm understanding you. Just bump the engine until the drain plug is at 6 o'clock, then unbolt it and ATF comes out? Put the plug back in, and you add fluid through the dipstick tube once the new filter and trans pan are also installed? I've done many transmission services but never drained a converter. Just making sure it's as easy as it sounds.
Yep, it's that easy.

Might need to add the initial amount of "filter change" fluid, then add in the rest of the total to bring the level to where it needs to be after the engine has run a bit to re-fill the converter.

CBODY67

Back