1966 Polara

It was noticed that my lower radiator hose had a leak. Just a pinhole, but I felt it better to swap hoses while at a shop, so @King Hooter was kind enough to drive to the O'Reilly's hub that had them in stock.

PXL_20240622_033738201.jpg

I made the tragic mistake of putting a dexcool type antifreeze in. I stopped for gas a short distance from Rockford, then went on to my hotel. The engine didn't like the coolant, got hot and stalled out. I was able to get it started and made it down to my exit, but that was it.

PXL_20240622_091339863.jpg

One mile, an expensive mile.

I was able to start the car and move it from where the tow guy dropped it. There's hope for it yet.

PXL_20240624_045243570.jpg

Even broke down, I still love this car.

Uhaul had a truck over there, and a trailer over yonder, so I came to the conclusion that I'd just get the car back to @71Polara383 's shop, and arrange to get it back to Minnesota. I'll be hitching a ride back to Minnesota with King Hooter.

PXL_20240624_045341815.jpg

Cruz Towing of Rockford is a cool guy, he's a car guy, one of us. Both he and the other two guy liked the car.

A new radiator will be ordered, I was running a Jegs universal unit that didn't fit properly, had gaps on the top and bottom, and had side tanks. It did fine up until the wrong coolant was added. It looks like it came out the side where the tank meets the rows. The lower front of the engine was wet, but the weep hole on the water pump was dry. If the engine is shot, I have another 440 that I can swap in. A potentially costly mistake, I'll never put any orange liquid near the car ever again.

W - "This is Dex Cool Scott."
S - "It says all makes/models."
W - "It says Dex Cool Compatible."
S - "I'm sure it'll be fine."

The Polara is at @71Polara383's shop, the tow was cheaper than the previous one, and went thirty-some miles further.

I'm back at home. A major shout out to @King Hooter for the ride home, I'm glad you came out to the show, and congratulations on your award at the Fox Lake show!

Plans are in the works to retrieve the Polara and get it back home for further inspection. It may be down, but it's not out.

I've had the car for almost twenty years, and know it well. I made a simple mistake, and learned from it. I'd be comfortable leaving the gauges as they are, after a new radiator, but I will install a temp gauge.

I still had fun this past weekend, after all, it's just an old car, and I got to hang out with friends. It's only money, and money isn't real.

After Wyatt's dipstick oil inspection, we've got fresh flaky metal objects in the dinosaur juice. That's the outcome I was expecting, so not a surprise. As said, a replacement engine is in stock and will be getting prepped for the swap.

The car is scheduled to be picked up by A&A Car Transport LLC out of Lilburn, GA. Ray, the owner, and Jake have been great to deal with, and will have the car back to me in Minnesota this weekend. Came in cheaper than what it would have cost me to go and fetch the car, so it was a no brainer.

I'll be ordering a few parts for the new 440, oil pump, timing chain, Summit oil pan gasket/windage tray, new engine mounts, three row radiator, a temp gauge (just for you @Jakter), and whatever else is needed.

After Wyatt's dipstick oil inspection, we've got fresh flaky metal objects in the dinosaur juice. That's the outcome I was expecting, so not a surprise. As said, a replacement engine is in stock and will be getting prepped for the swap.

The car is scheduled to be picked up by A&A Car Transport LLC out of Lilburn, GA. Ray, the owner, and Jake have been great to deal with, and will have the car back to me in Minnesota this weekend. Came in cheaper than what it would have cost me to go and fetch the car, so it was a no brainer.

I'll be ordering a few parts for the new 440, oil pump, timing chain, Summit oil pan gasket/windage tray, new engine mounts, three row radiator, a temp gauge (just for you @Jakter), and whatever else is needed.
Don't forget to yank the freeze plugs and get into the water jackets with a poker and a screwdriver and flush out / remove all the crud you can.

Are the heads on that 440 in good shape?

Back