1969, 1970 Imperial Vinyl Tops

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
Any Imperials ever get gator grain, or tortoise or cobra grain tops?

Gator Grain Top.jpg

The only unsual vinyl roof on Imperials that I would know of was the V1M burgundy vinyl roof available for the 1971 models. This material's red color tended to fade due to exposure to the sun's UV rays and thereby reveal a floral pattern, which is why this vinyl roof color choice was discontinued in late 1970.

You might check the Color and Trim Guides for Imperials in the Library section at www.hamtramck-historical.com for vinyl roof "swatch" images.

CBODY67
I did. Its not listed there but you know Ma'Mopar; never say never... Just thought I'd throw this question out there and see if anyone had any experiences or knowledge of those "one-ofs"....

The only unsual vinyl roof on Imperials that I would know of was the V1M burgundy vinyl roof available for the 1971 models. This material's red color tended to fade due to exposure to the sun's UV rays and thereby reveal a floral pattern, which is why this vinyl roof color choice was discontinued in late 1970.

There was a writeup on this vinyl roof in the Collectible Automobile magazine article on Fuselage Imperials. The roof material was specifically developed to look like an old Italian leather that has a very subtle print. All looked fine but the production involved printing red color over the others. As the sun's UV rays would eat up the red, the other colors of the print became very dominant.

So yes, the somewhat floral design showing through that much was never intended and it became a recall. Owners could choose to have it replaced with a black or white roof for free.

But no, it was not leftover vinyl material turned Imperial roof by some shrewd vinyl company selling their recycled trash to unwary Chrysler procurement.

Back