NOT MINE 1969 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron - 2 Door Coupe - $5,000 (Jefferson Park)

Ad has been deleted.

Ad has been deleted.
I’m surprised it took that long.

wasnt me, although I wrestled with it despite my public protestations.

anyway, "no such thing as a free lunch". good acqusition price for somebody maybe but still could be several "G- notes" to go get her roadworthy (everything working. dependable, etc.). Maybe that will go well for someone.

Methinks we may see this one again. If so, cool, but hopefully, some intermediary would put some $$$ in it to get it titled/roadworthy and it'll live on in a good home.

1720439381158.png

Last edited:
I messaged the guy too.
Would've gone to look at it had I not been out of town over the 4th of July weekend.
He messaged me back saying somebody offered $6K if he'd hold it for him for 2 weeks.
Then sent another note to me from the seller that said he messaged everyone that showed interest, the car was now for sale for $6K.
Somebody was supposed to come see the car on Monday, but since the CL ad is down, he probably got the $6K he wanted.

I messaged the guy too.
Would've gone to look at it had I not been out of town over the 4th of July weekend.
He messaged me back saying somebody offered $6K if he'd hold it for him for 2 weeks.
Then sent another note to me from the seller that said he messaged everyone that showed interest, the car was now for sale for $6K.
Somebody was supposed to come see the car on Monday, but since the CL ad is down, he probably got the $6K he wanted.

I have been that buyer -- offered a seller MORE than asking price (plus a non-refundable deposit) to hold a thing 2-3 days till I get my act together (i'm outta town, gotta get to bank, get my transport arranged to pickup and pay at same time if the want cash, etc.,).

I have also been a seller granting such terms, though I would change advertising to let people know a deal was cooking.

folks i know, i will just take them at their word in a "handshake" deal. then, tell any prospects what market feedback I had, or just take it off market if a friend was first in line.

Another grand on this car, and it STILL was a good deal for a buyer.

People gotta have a lotta trust (usually strangers) in each other to get that to all work out. Perhaps that's what happened here.

Seller was at least forthcoming about the process to that extent. Did change ad to say "sale pending" I think.

Good on him for trying to keep it on the up and up.

Last edited:
Agreed. If it sold even for the additional dollars bringing the asking price to $6K, it was still a very good deal on a 2-door hardtop 69 Imperial.
Wish I got the chance to see the car in person, but it's probably good I didn't or I'd have another one.

With the holiday I couldn't get logistics together to be serious about it either. I could have flatbedded it to my house and then went to the shop for the truck and trailer I guess. Oh well.

I am getting weak

I am annoucing it because (1) I gotta be talked down (braintrust, need to hear from you by PM), (2) I want somebody able and willing to go grab it and put me outta my misery,:poke:

Seriously, other than 1970 Newport 440, this year Imp (with "gills") is the only other C-bdy i'd break my rules for. I have been on record here looking for the right '69 for past ten years.

My honest hesitations?
`
1. It sat too long not to get eyes on it. I see a few things I gotta rule out/confirm whetther its a sinkhole to put on the road again.

2. I really don't like the "no title" deals from states that require titles -- though its easy enough to solve I think.

3. Coming up so late in my hobby career, its a "catch and release" for me, so I AM thinking a lot about resale (sign o' the times unfortunately). Kinda makes me a "flipper". Ugh.:BangHead:

Any member that can look at it, and knows going in you're not a buyer, please PM me and we can talk about makin it worth your while to go look at it for me -- ASAP.

While I am weak. :)

I am getting weak

I am annoucing it because (1) I gotta be talked down (braintrust, need to hear from you by PM), (2) I want somebody able and willing to go grab it and put me outta my misery,:poke:

Seriously, other than 1970 Newport 440, this year Imp (with "gills") is the only other C-bdy i'd break my rules for. I have been on record here looking for the right '69 for past ten years.

My honest hesitations?
`
1. It sat too long not to get eyes on it. I see a few things I gotta rule out/confirm whetther its a sinkhole to put on the road again.

2. I really don't like the "no title" deals from states that require titles -- though its easy enough to solve I think.

3. Coming up so late in my hobby career, its a "catch and release" for me, so I AM thinking a lot about resale (sign o' the times unfortunately). Kinda makes me a "flipper". Ugh.:BangHead:

Any member that can look at it, and knows going in you're not a buyer, please PM me and we can talk about makin it worth your while to go look at it for me -- ASAP.

While I am weak. :)
I did a bonded title with illinois it's not really too much hassle.

I did a bonded title with illinois it's not really too much hassle.
any idea how that works with non-residents, chief? E.g., to what extent, if any, does that matter to state of IL do they even care IF it leaves their state without a title?

YM23K9C283777 — does anyone have the tag?

IMG_3202.jpeg

The chance was Friday or Saturday. He might play pricing games now. But obviously the throngs didn't come through for him.

I drove to the Jefferson Park neighborhood of Chicago today to inspect the 69 Imperial, to weigh the possibility of making the purchase.
First thing was to see if everything was there, i.e. trim, engine components, interior, etc, and they all checked out. I did notice it was missing the bumper jack, but the spare with the Imperial rim/tire was in the trunk.
The interior is black with the bucket seat option, and the leather was in good condition. Only noticed a small section on the seat back where the seam looked like it could be stitched back, but no tears and the power seats work. The headliner was intact and no sign of rodent infestation or holes. The carpet needs to be replaced, as it was worn through to the floor on the driver's side. The steering wheel had a small crack at 12 o'clock, but other than that it was nice, and the horn worked.
The body has 1 rust hole on the bottom of the driver's side rear quarter, just past the wheel opening. there are several door dings along both sides of the car, as well as a small dent on the right-side fender. Both bumpers have dents and need to be straightened and re-chromed. The DS rearview mirror is pitted and there is no PS mirror.
No rust in the trunk floors was seen after pulling the carpet back a little, or any rust along the trunk rails or dutchman panel. Cardboard dress up panes and the rear defogger components were also still present in the trunk. Trunk carpet was ok.
The vinyl top is in really good condition, with only about a 1" separation at the bottom of the rear window next to the trim.
The car will need a new paint job if a resto is the goal, but the E7 Dark Briar Metalic / burgundy will look really nice IMO once repainted.
The underside of the car looked solid, and I did not see any rust through spots on the floor or any stub frame rot.
Mechanically, the driver side front wheel studs were replaced, as the seller broke them off not knowing about the reverse threaded studs. The exhaust from the manifolds back is shot from sitting for 30+ years, and the gas in the tank has turned to varnish.
Everything in the engine bay looked to be there, and all original with no modifications that I saw. Engine does not run but will turn with a socket on the crank bolt.
The radiator needs to be flushed and maybe recored too. The fan shroud is there and not broken.
We jacked up the rear end and took it out of gear, but the wheels wouldn't turn. Probably rusty shoes and an easy fix. I was hoping to find out if it was a sure grip or an open rear end. I forgot to look for the factory tag on the differential housing.
The seller had hooked up a battery while I was there and did see some of the lights were getting power, however the headlight door motor would not function even after confirming it was plugged in. The seller told me the windows went up with help, but the battery was too weak to confirm the were actually working. No cracks or delamination in the tinted windshield.

The seller is firm on his price at $6,000, as he repeatedly said he could get it running as a driver and sell it for $10K to $14K because he had seen the valuations for this model on the interweb. (I think he's sticking to the $6K price because of the interest his car has generated)

I was on the fence about buying this Imperial as it is pretty solid and has a complete interior, but I told the seller I was going to take a pass.
This car wouldn't take too much to make it road worthy, and to use as a driver while doing a restoration.
It's worth the $6K. And in today's C Body world of cars being sold, this one has a great foundation for somebody to Make a C Body Great Again.

20240709_114218_resized.jpg

20240709_114328_resized.jpg
20240709_114746_resized.jpg
20240709_114414_resized.jpg

20240709_114811_resized.jpg

20240709_115451_resized.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

20240709_121002_resized_1.jpg

20240709_120513_resized_1.jpg

IMG_6993.jpg

Last edited:
Back