1969 Chrysler Valient

NedNerd

Reaction score
Can anybody help me price this barn find?

Its buried so I'm not able to get great pictures but other than covered in dust. This thing is in great shape. I pulled the motor cover off and it looks like its brand new plus a couple dead bugs.
The seats and canopy are soft and pliable. With a good bath and a quick buff job, I think this thing will look new.

The owner of the estate says make a fair offer.
I can't find anything like it online other than brochures to even get an idea of what to offer.

20240507_144452~2.jpg

20240507_144615.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-230828_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-231118_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-231240_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-231348_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-230926_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240519-231023_Photos.jpg

The hardest parts to locate will be for the engine.
Otherwise it appears to be complete
With Chrysler boats, the more complete the better.
Even has the correct trailer!
4500.. would be my guess.
They do have a cult following and there is a web site that supports Chrysler boats.
Welcome to the Chrysler Marine Web Site

Thank you for the info. I had no idea what to offer. I'm glad I came here first because I would have unintentionally low balled him.

If I wanted an easy inexpensive boat to get out on a small lake, I would offer $2500 and hope the motor was good and the transom was solid.
Chrysler 55's are/were good motors. They are the simplest of the simple.
That boat will not be an easy resell when the times comes unless it runs like new. Collector value is low. My "guess" is $5000 tops. Recent resale comps are the only clue.
If it were an 18-foot Glastron, Checkmate, Boston Whaler or Baha, that would be different.
Oh Lucy, you got some research to do.

If I wanted an easy inexpensive boat to get out on a small lake, I would offer $2500 and hope the motor was good and the transom was solid.
Chrysler 55's are/were good motors. They are the simplest of the simple.
That boat will not be an easy resell when the times comes unless it runs like new. Collector value is low. My "guess" is $5000 tops. Recent resale comps are the only clue.
If it were an 18-foot Glastron, Checkmate, Boston Whaler or Baha, that would be different.
Oh Lucy, you got some research to do.
Thanks for the info. The transom and everything about the boat is solid. If they used it, it wasn't much. I just don't know if the motor will have issues from sitting for so many years.

Thanks for the info. The transom and everything about the boat is solid. If they used it, it wasn't much. I just don't know if the motor will have issues from sitting for so many years.

Have you turned the flywheel by hand?
The bearings are probably still clean.
The carbs and fuel pump are easy to clean and get sorted.
The water pump is toast.

Yes, I was able to turn it. What makes the water pump go bad?
The impeller blades flex with each revolution of the motor, and it will not pump water because they can no longer flex. The impeller blades will break off in varying size pieces, guaranteed. Then the little pieces usually find their way into the cooling intake passages and impede the flow of cooling water. You may not be able to see them, but you will have to fish them out. They can find their way into the power head and obstruct the cooling in a specific localized area and cause an overheat spot without setting off the overheat buzzer, and seize a piston.

I would offer in the range of 3000 - 3500 for the simple reason it’s not a running motor at this time. As mentioned you will need to replace the water pump and change the bottom end oil. I would actually pull the oil fill plug on the bottom end and check the oil. If it’s clear the bottoms end is likely ok. If there is water in it you may have other issues.
Other things it will require is a new battery and possibly a new fuel tank.
The rest of the boat should clean up nicely as long as there is no rot which it sounds like you have checked.

Back