1969 Fury I turn signals were slowing down now dont work

Stuka_Mensch

Reaction score
Hey all on my 69 Fury I, my flashers work as normal but a week after a relay was added that stopped the huge power draw by the turn signals, the turn signals started flashing and clicking slower, now they don't work at all, either left or right. Very rare one might flicker on once. Any advice on this issue? Couldn't find anything when I searched. Thanks for your help in advance!

Tell us about the huge power draw and where the relay was installed to stop the power draw . It seems your issue started after the relay was installed. You could replace the signal light flasher with a new digital flasher , they work with low voltage situations.

Tell us about the huge power draw and where the relay was installed to stop the power draw . It seems your issue started after the relay was installed. You could replace the signal light flasher with a new digital flasher , they work with low voltage situations.
The draw the turn signal wouldnt work at all, activating a turn signal would make every light on the car dim, but the hazards were working, I'd have to ask the shop about the relay Ik if the new issue has anything to do with his work he'll make it right.

MyMopar You would benefit from a shop manual wiring diagram from mymopar . If my memory serves me right, the hazard lights are a separate circuit From the signal lights. They would still work when you have problems with the signal lights

A relay does not eliminate power demand. Think of the starter. It is the heaviest load in the whole system. If it did not recieve that heavy current, it could not crank the engine. That circuit contains a starter relay which lessens the load in the starter switch and, along with the solenoid, provides a shorter, more direct path for that heavy current from the battery to the starter motor.
You can, howrver, reduce the power demand of your signal lights by replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. There are several good threads on that subject. Lindsay

a normal flasher relay has a bimetallic strip that heats up and bends to open its contacts...when it cools it bends the other way and closes the contacts...this is why the bulb blinks off and on...generally LEDs wont draw enough current to heat up the strip and they wont flash...therefore they require a special flasher...i've even seen some cheap incandescents that cause the same problem, had cars where the cure was throw away the brand new chinese bulbs and put in used originals....I'd be looking for a bad body ground or corroded/melted bulkhead fitting

a normal flasher relay has a bimetallic strip that heats up and bends to open its contacts...when it cools it bends the other way and closes the contacts...this is why the bulb blinks off and on...generally LEDs wont draw enough current to heat up the strip and they wont flash...therefore they require a special flasher...i've even seen some cheap incandescents that cause the same problem, had cars where the cure was throw away the brand new chinese bulbs and put in used originals....I'd be looking for a bad body ground or corroded/melted bulkhead fitting
The original issue with some of the lighting like the dash lights was a ground we'll check it out!

I’ve had grounding issues at the tail light . The metal tail light sockets can become loose or corroded due to moisture getting past the tail light gasket between the plastic lens and the metal back of the tail light assembly. You might wanna take this opportunity to remove the tail lights from your car clean them all up. Be sure to clean up the bulb sockets before installation into the tail light assembly .

I'm not understanding the "relay for turn signals" part of this. Wiring in a relay for the turn signals because of a "high draw" makes zero sense. The incandescent bulbs, lets' say three were 1 in the front and 2 in the back would only have a draw of just over 6 amps for all three. A typical relay is 2 amps.

By any chance, is the flasher being called a "relay" here?

If this shop told you that you needed a relay for a heavy draw on the turn signals, it's time to find another shop.

I'm thinking the "heavy draw" was determined by the shop because the lights dimmed when the turn signals were activated.
Wonder if that wasn't due to a low charge rate from the alternator?
Now the lights not functioning because of further degradation of the power supply or bad ground not allowing enough voltage to them?
Does everything go through the ammeter in '69?
Just a wild guess.

Back