1969 polara noisy engine fan

polarnj

Reaction score
Just got this car recently, the fan roars like a school bus. It's a 7 blade fan, presumably with a heavy duty clutch. Is it more the fan or the clutch that causes the noise?

The p.o. said that 383s need the hd clutch because they run hot (?), is it totally necessary or can I get by with the standard quieter one?

Just got this car recently, the fan roars like a school bus. It's a 7 blade fan, presumably with a heavy duty clutch. Is it more the fan or the clutch that causes the noise?

The p.o. said that 383s need the hd clutch because they run hot (?), is it totally necessary or can I get by with the standard quieter one?
The HD clutch is not any noisier.

If yours is making a lot of noise, there's two things... First... Are you sure there's a clutch? Some guys will bolt the fan directly and eliminate the clutch. Second, when the car is off, can you turn the fan easily? If you can't the clutch must be bad... Although I've never seen one fail where it won't spin, but that's just my experience.

If any Chrysler w/factory a/c runs hot in that part of the country, it probably needs a radiator re-core and the block water passages cleaned out. To say that in AZ, is a different situation.

What does the instrument panel gauge indicate?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The HD clutch is not any noisier.

If yours is making a lot of noise, there's two things... First... Are you sure there's a clutch? Some guys will bolt the fan directly and eliminate the clutch. Second, when the car is off, can you turn the fan easily? If you can't the clutch must be bad... Although I've never seen one fail where it won't spin, but that's just my experience.

There is def. a clutch there, it's pretty big. I'll check to see if I can spin the fan, what am I looking for? Should it spin easily?

I just installed a new clutch on my 440's fan, and it too roars like a school bus. I hate it, but the car definitely runs cooler than it used to.

Not sure what to do.

Back