1969 polara noisy engine fan

polarnj

Reaction score
Just got this car recently, the fan roars like a school bus. It's a 7 blade fan, presumably with a heavy duty clutch. Is it more the fan or the clutch that causes the noise?

The p.o. said that 383s need the hd clutch because they run hot (?), is it totally necessary or can I get by with the standard quieter one?

Just got this car recently, the fan roars like a school bus. It's a 7 blade fan, presumably with a heavy duty clutch. Is it more the fan or the clutch that causes the noise?

The p.o. said that 383s need the hd clutch because they run hot (?), is it totally necessary or can I get by with the standard quieter one?
The HD clutch is not any noisier.

If yours is making a lot of noise, there's two things... First... Are you sure there's a clutch? Some guys will bolt the fan directly and eliminate the clutch. Second, when the car is off, can you turn the fan easily? If you can't the clutch must be bad... Although I've never seen one fail where it won't spin, but that's just my experience.

If any Chrysler w/factory a/c runs hot in that part of the country, it probably needs a radiator re-core and the block water passages cleaned out. To say that in AZ, is a different situation.

What does the instrument panel gauge indicate?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The HD clutch is not any noisier.

If yours is making a lot of noise, there's two things... First... Are you sure there's a clutch? Some guys will bolt the fan directly and eliminate the clutch. Second, when the car is off, can you turn the fan easily? If you can't the clutch must be bad... Although I've never seen one fail where it won't spin, but that's just my experience.

There is def. a clutch there, it's pretty big. I'll check to see if I can spin the fan, what am I looking for? Should it spin easily?

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the cars at the show with no clutch at all don't seem to have that noisy a fan, at least not as much as mine. Maybe they are not 7-bladers

In many respects, the factory 7-blade fan was not that noisy to me. When started, it would make some "fan" sounds, but in a few seconds, quiet down to nothing. That was the way the OEM and later DANA/Spicer replacements did, too.

Not sure about the HD versions, but when I was seeking to not spend money (I didn't want to spend at the time) on a new fan clutch, I discovered that I could dimple the outer "oil reservoirs" on the front (with a blunt Phillips-head screwdriver) to increase the internal pressure and more "lock-up" the innards so the fan took longer to uncouple. I could hear it up to about 30mph in low gear, then the air coming through the radiator would overpower it and it would quieten down.

At the Chevy dealer I worked at, in the summer, sometimes we'd have customers come in and complain that their 454 tow vehicle's transmission was downshifting too much. Turns out they were hearing the clutch fan cut in and out.

So, drive the car and see if it doesn't quieten down after you get to about 35mph or so.

One time I didn't want to buy a new fan clutch (see above) and put a Flex-A-Lite stainless steel flex fan on the '66 Newport Town Sedan. It WAS loud. Sounded like a jet getting ready to take off at 60mph on the highway! Tried spacing it in and out of the shroud, no help. I could take the air cleaner off and not have to worry about burning my hands after an hour drive on the Interstate at 70mph in TX July heat. It was moving THAT much air, but not increase in mpg from it pulling the car down the road! Ended up taking it back for credit and reluctantly going back to an OEM Dana fan clutch.

Just my observations and experiences,
CBODY67

Well when I test drove the car it was roaring all the way onto the highway, so I don't think it ever really quiets down much. I'm getting the insurance taken care of so it should be on the road by next week

Back